Saturday, April 30, 2005

Saturday Blessings

Okay, I just want to let you know that even though I’ve been working my butt off some of it was still present and it’s probably a good thing. Thursday right before lunch my feet decided to do a strange tangle tango and I landed on a short stack of pallets with a crash. Extra bottom side padding comes in handy! I’m stiff and sore and didn’t even wound my pride as no one saw me do it. (LOL)

Yesterday we were short staffed again, but we worked hard and respectably. Before the crew had gotten there, I went into Ed’s office to ask a couple production questions. During the conversation he informed me that he really appreciated all my hard work and was going to request that I be bumped up I’ve only been an employee for 6 weeks and I got my first raise!!!! I was so excited I went straight back to my office to call Nelson and tell him.

Toward the end of the day M (my Saturday call off guy and the hardest worker on my crew) and I decided to stay after and rearrange things. I worked off the clock. We were able to relocate things in such a way that items will be much more accessible. Ed came out while we were working along with company owner and gave their stamp of approval on our effort. Ed also gave me the letter making my raise official starting Monday. While he was there he talked to me about whether I thought M was ready to be hired on full time. M is such a hard worker and Ed has been noticing this. I told him yes, that M was who I depended on a lot. I hope it works out for him—I’ll just miss him terribly in my department.

Well, I just finished lunch. Nelson and I both went to bed early last night (before 9:30) and slept till after 7:30 this morning. When we both were up we just sat and talked. It was really nice. Then the conversation shifted over to matters of money. What a perfect way to squelch a lovely morning. Sigh. I have such issues about money. I’m not so sure the issue is as much about money as it is about worth. But somehow in my mind money equates somehow into worth.

Part of our conversation was about how he isn’t getting paid and how he was justifying not confronting Dave about it. His reasoning is that having known Dave for so long, knowing that he’s a kind, caring man, he just keeps waiting for Dave to come to work one day and say that he was going to either pay Nelson more when the house (the one they’re remodeling) or more when they finally start building the other one. He says he just can’t imagine it being any other way and that’s why he hasn’t confronted Dave. Nelson wanted to go to the Resurrection service tomorrow at the Messianic Congregation, but we just don’t have the money for gas (it’s an hour and a half trip to get there). We talked about it later and decided that if Dave asks where he was he’s going to tell him that he couldn’t come because he didn’t have the money and that things have been really tight since he hasn’t had a paycheck since mid-December. Whether he quits on the spot depends on what Dave’s reaction will be. (Sigh.)

Nelson and I went to Aldi’s to get groceries before lunch. We just got essentials and spent about $55. Hopefully that will hold us for two weeks. That’s how tight things are.

After lunch we turned off the TV, turned on the stereo and put out the Scrabble board. We played two games. Nelson killed me the first game and returned the favor in the second game. It was such a nice few hours: good music, sweet smelling candles, mellow hazelnut coffee, and just the best company around. I’m so thankful that we can spend time together and enjoy each other.

I’m just feeling abundantly blessed right now. In spite of the financial concerns. It's just an is in my life. What really matters is that I know I will have what I need. And it’s a really good, good feeling.

3 comments:

Saija said...

you have a great attitude, Tina ...

and i smiled as i read about you and Nelson playing scrabble ... Leo used to whoop me on a regular basis in scrabble ... it's hard for him to find a comfy position to play it anymore (with the sitting, and lieing down to play doesn't work as well?) ... but we still manage to get the old board out every now and then ...

hope you have a blessed Sunday!

Kim said...

Coffee and Scrabble. What a wonderful combination! I get killed whenI play my hubby.

jettybetty said...

I, too, am ecouraged by your attitude! My honee can always beat me playing scrabble, but I still love to play!
Sunday blessings to you!
JB