Sunday, April 24, 2005

News from the Corner

Friday night Nelson and I were guests of Dave and Linda at a Passover Seder at the Messianic Congregation they attend. This is also the congregation where Dave and Nelson built the platform for the church and are working on the kitchen. I had to get special permission to go, but my PO was ok with it. I’m glad.

The occasion was a “meal” but it was an amazing worship experience as well. There was such a spirit of joy and freedom. As soon as the music began, the dancers moved to the front area and began the dance. What a celebration! I learned a lot and was so moved in my spirit. Nelson was invited to participate in the service.

One of the blessings of the service was a real growing moment for me. I had been praying all week about my resentful attitude toward David regarding his treatment of Nelson at work. I knew I had to release this if I was going to receive anything from/in the service. At one point we were invited to participate in a footwashing. Linda had never done that before. I had. In those moments all my anger and resentment felt as if it dripped into the water, leaving me only feeling love for both Linda and Dave. I still don’t understand how they could treat Nelson like they do, but I don’t feel any anger or resentment towards them.

Yesterday I worked. As I was getting ready I got a call from one of the team to tell me that he wouldn’t be able to work. He’s one of our hardest workers. I count on him a lot. As soon as the phone rang, I knew it was him. He called off the last time we were offered overtime. My biggest concern was that he was going to run the tow motor—so now how were we going to move anything. Fortunately, the new guy also knew how to run it! We were able to finish one order and get a lion’s share of another one done. Not bad for the small group we had. Just another example of God providing and blessing.

Last night before bed Nelson asked me if I was planning on going to our small worship group? I felt completely apathetic about going. I don’t like feeling nothing. I used to have such a passion for worship. I only went this morning because I knew I should.

Our gathering time was good. There were only four of us. When Nelson and I arrived the leader was talking with the one other guy. The guy is the one with severe brain damage. He has a tendency to get stuck on things. The most recent stuckness is about creation creation and dinosaurs. He asks a lot of questions but he’s not really open to the answers. Sometimes his questions make no sense, or come at odd times in the discussion. This morning they were oddly appropriate.

As we talked, Jim (the leader) shared that Moses wrote the Genesis account to explain the relationship between God and us. It dawned on me then that to try and align or reconcile the Bible with science, history, or even geography is to try and do something with it that it was never intended for. Scripture’s primary purpose was to explain the relationship. Period. Nelson then commented on how to get “stuck” asking the questions for which there are no concrete answers is to fall into a trap of the Evil One. It’s like being stuck in neutral. You just get nowhere.

Then when we got home from gathering, I picked up “My Utmost for His Highest” and read a phrase that just stuck in my mind: [be] obedient in the work He has placed closest to you. Part of my heart longs to be preaching or teaching, but it isn’t my time for that. I need to be looking where God is working around me and join him there (thanks for the reminder Biscotti!).

It’s just a really rich time in my corner of the world. Hope it is where you are, too!

No comments: