Monday, April 18, 2005

Surgery, Truck, and Sweet Dreams

Nelson’s dad came through the surgery well. They removed diverticula, put a stint in his kidney, and then worked on his bladder and urethra. The doctor felt that at first look there was no cancer, but everything is being checked.

Nelson stayed with his mom until she returned home after his dad was in his room and appearing to be doing well. While at his parents he picked up a day bed that they were giving to Annie for Penelope. He drove from Toledo to Annie’s.
After delivering the bed he took off from Annie’s and headed home. He stopped in the next town to grab some dinner. While at Taco Bell the guy behind him in the drive-thru line came up and told Nelson that the truck was leaking fluid in massive quantities. Nelson got out and looked and found the engine leaking oil. He decided to drive back to Annie’s and spend the night.

Last week the truck needed work and David told Nelson that if there were any more problems he was through. He felt that he had put too much money into the truck. The availability of the truck was one of the “perks” that was presented to Nelson last year when he was considering taking this job. Just one more thing that hasn’t worked out.

Unlike Nelson, the day for me went really well. Dan (director of T-Net) was able to get the county jail to agree to work with one inmate for work-release. When I saw her I was a little nervous, she’s barely 5’ tall and thin. But let me tell you, you can put R and the 21yr old on the opposite ends of the spectrum. R caught on, worked hard, and anticipated what was needed or next. All the guys were impressed and let her know that they appreciated her work. So did I! We’re also going to get one of the guys back that was working there when I first started. He’ll be an asset too.

Ed, plant manager, informed me that we will be receiving a new order later this week and that another order that was scheduled for 4000 has been increased to 11,000! That’s good news. With the new help, we began discussing the logistics of creating a second line. I had done some consulting with the team and had drawn a possible schematic. No sooner had I finished that discussion when Ed returned and began a discussion about a second line to handle the increase. I showed him my idea. He looked at me and smiled. “You’re one step ahead of me again. I like that. Keep it up.” I liked that. It felt good.

Well, I’m avoiding going to bed. I’m tired, but I don’t like sleeping in this house alone. I started out sleeping with the light on last night. I finally was able to turn it off. Without Nelson’s C-pap machine “shooshing” in my face I hear every noise. I admit it: I’m a coward. But a tired one, so I’m going to go and try to fall asleep. Maybe I’ll dream positively productive dreams…or not…maybe I’ll try to imagine the wonderful vacation I’ll get next year.

3 comments:

The Faith Expedition said...

Hi Daisymarie...just wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your lovely comment. I'm always so glad when people comment because it gives me a way to track back to them and meet new friends! You've always welcome and I will keep checking out your blog as well.

In Him, Becky

jettybetty said...

I am getting caught up with my blogosphere! Glad to hear Nelson's dad came through the surgery--sorry about the truck. However, it sounds like you had a great day at work! Praise God!!!

If you want to give me some interview questions now--I am ready to attack them now. Thanks for your patience--and no hurry--I will just try them whenever.

Blessings!
JB

Peg said...

Glad the surgery went well!