Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Dryer Sounds

I’m sitting in my chair in the living room. I’ve been home for two hours. I’ve started laundry, but I’m waiting to put it in the dryer. The laundry room is on the first floor, I like that. It’s too close to the living room so the aging dryer’s squeak and rocking noises invade the living space—I don’t like that.

I put an old fashioned window screen in one of the living room windows. I have the front door open too. I’m being serenaded by the birds and the wind blowing through the chime. I’d rather listen to that than the dryer!

When I got home I was confused. Nelson’s job is to wash the dishes. The dishes were washed, but the silverware was still in the sink. That’s generally a sign that Beth is trying to be helpful. I’m not sure what allergy she has to washing silverware, but it’s a serious one. I’m just thankful that the dishes are washed because now I can do my job and put them away! After the birds stop singing and I turn the dryer on.

I called Nelson to find out if he had made it home. This was of course before I started the laundry. I would have known immediately by the overflowing basket in the laundry room. I started the load while we talked. Fortunately the washer isn’t as loud as the dryer.

He nursed the truck home. It is leaking transmission fluid quite badly. David is adamant that he will not put any more money into the truck. Odd. Having access to the truck was a part of the original “work package.” Of course, so was being paid. Today Nelson was busting up the concrete sidewalk behind David’s house; using an inadequate tool and not getting paid. Nelson hangs in there because he is so blasted loyal that he won’t broach the topic of being paid. I am now at the place where I don’t understand how this ‘friend’ of ours could take such horrible advantage of Nelson. We’re supposed to spend Friday evening with this couple…I’d rather listen to the horrible squeak and hammering of the dryer!

The reason the dryer squeaks and wobbles is that I am no mechanic. I am also no mathematician. I have made two $1000.00 errors in purchase orders in the last week. We needed the stuff, so the company was willing to pay. It’s just that company that we purchased supplies from would rather get paid sooner. I felt like such a ninny. I’m going to have to be my own secretary and check my figures. Just shove me in the dryer.

Some good things are happening: the new girl is working out fabulously! She’s such a hard worker and has caught on very quickly. Dan hired another guy to start this week. We talked about it and we’re going to only use the one guy who has some serious deficits due to brain damage only twice a week at the factory and Dan will keep him busy the other 3 working at T-Net. I’m sleeping better. My hands haven’t been numb since Saturday morning! And I’ve lost a few pounds! (I’m speed walking all over the plant, sweating up blue blazes, working hard, and drinking mostly water…it’s all good!)

Well, I think I’m going to settle in with some pizza and get ready for American Idol. I wish I had a remote for the dryer so I could turn it on during the painfully, pitchy songs! Have a wonderfully dryer-free night!

3 comments:

Peg said...

I missed American Idol - we took my husband out for his birthday. How was it?

Cindy-Lou said...

Hi Daisymarie! I understand the dryer noise... we were at my in-laws for about three weeks. Their washer and dryer are in a "closet", if you will, in the kitchen with a TV... and that's where everyone congregates. You don't realize how loud the TV is until the dryer stops ;)
Are you trying to lose weight? If you are, what are you doing.... I'm trying, sort of... the will-power isn't the greatest right now, lol!

Theresa Coleman said...

I kinda enjoy the dryer sounds.... until it buzzes and I have to get up and empty it. Sigh.
I really enjoy reading your blog. You share a little joy with this world.
Blessings.