Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Mothers' Day Thoughts

(Here's what I'm going to send my mom for Mothers' Day)

Mothers’ Day Thoughts


Hey there! (This is how I always answer when she answers the phone...it's how she knows it's me.)
I went to the store the other day and one of the items on my list was a Mother’s Day card for you. I read a few and was not very much impressed with any of them. So I decided to write something personal for you instead. It’s cheaper and will hopefully mean a lot more (if I can get the thoughts rambling around my brain down on paper).

This is typically a day of gift giving. I remember many of the gifts that my girls gave me over the years. None of them cost very much, but they all meant so much because they took the time, made the effort. I was thinking about Annie’s journey into motherhood and wondered if I should give her a gift, too. Maybe I’ll write her a letter, too. Anyway, I hope you will accept the gift of my thoughts and words.

So while I was thinking of gifts, I started thinking of the very special and unique gifts that you have given me and I decided that I wanted to thank you for the precious gifts I have received from you!

You gave me a love of music.
**I remember one time going with you to rehearse a song you were singing at a church, in Milan I think. I was so impressed. You planted a seed of hunger for singing.
You gave me a love of theater.
*This gift came in two forms. You not only introduced me to stage productions, you planted the seed that craves the lights, the lines, and play!
You gave me a love of words.
*Hours of watching you and Dad play Scrabble and pages and pages of crosswords later we find ourselves planted in front of a Scrabble board mining words and having a wonderful time!
You gave me a love of fine food.
*I remember you eating crab legs. Nah, you didn’t eat them, you savored them. Good food was a special treat and you celebrate it. Now, so do I.
You taught me perseverance.
*I absolutely get my tenacity, my dogged determination, from you.
You taught me the importance completing a task.
*I wish I had a dollar for every time you said that if I was going to do something, I should do it right!
You showed me how to love and support your husband.
*We were never unloved, but we knew who really held your heart. His work took him away, but you plugged on.
You listened and let me dream.
*I’m surprised my rear end isn’t permanently flat from all the hours I spent sitting on the footstool in front of you or on the counter while you worked in the kitchen.

But most of all you showed me how to go on when everything in life seemed to be coming to an end. And you loved me and encouraged me to keep going when I thought my world was over.

These are gifts for which no card, or flowers, or trinket can compare. I celebrate them this Mothers’ Day…and I celebrate you.

I love you bunches and a lot!
T

5 comments:

Kim said...

I think this is the kind of Mother's Day tribute any mother would love to have.

Erin said...

Simply beautiful, Daisymarie!

jettybetty said...

*Let me run get a tissue*--I love it daisymarie!!! JB

Saija said...

just like all of us, mom's like to hear "the words" too ...

hope your Mother's Day was wonderful, too ...

Maggie Ann said...

How beautiful that you have such great memories of who your Mom is and what she gave to you.