Saturday, April 09, 2005

Interview from JettyBetty

1. Most of your blogs are so positive--can you tell us why?
The glass is half full and I am thankful for it. I have always looked for the positive in the situations where I find myself. I sat here and pondered this for a while. There are three kids in my family. I’m the oldest and the most overtly optimistic. My brother is two years younger and is the pragmatic realist. My sister is two years younger than my brother and she is the epitome of Eeyore: the fatalistic pessimist.

So partly, it is my role to have been and be positive. And partly it is my joy. One of my favorite illustrations to this point is about a two kids. Both are left in rooms full of poop. The first child is soon found sitting in the corner crying about all the poop. The second child is found furiously digging around in the poop. When asked why, the response is: well if there’s this much poop in here there must be a pony, too. I’m always looking for the pony.

2. Does your family know you blog? What do they think of it?
Yes. My younger daughter helped me get started with an online diary. I maintain that diary and she posted to it while I was in jail. When she really wants to know what is going on in me she goes and reads it. She hasn’t found this blog. My husband appreciates that I have a place to express myself and marvels at the amazing support I have received from people. He wants to know when I’m going to start writing a book about all the things I blog about. My older daughter knows, but isn’t much interested unless the younger daughter fills her in on something.

3. If/when you and your granddaughter, Penelope, spend a day together, what would you choose to do?
Penelope is total busyness and activity. We would take a walk, play at the part, eat whatever we wanted, and laugh and laugh, and laugh! I would spend most of the day on the floor playing with her and loving every minute of it.

4. You say you would like to write a book--what do you think it will be on?
I would like to write a devotional commentary on the book of Philippians and perhaps a book on my experience of grace in brokenness.

5. You have gobs of graduate hours in religion/ministry. How has taking academic classes in Bible changed you?
I have a totally insatiable appetite for study and learning. Changed me? Enriced me. Challenged me. Opened me. Sent me to my knees in prayer. Blessed me. Humbled me. And may it continue to do so.

This continues to be very challenging to me. I like the way the questions push me to think in areas I might not go on my own.

1 comment:

jettybetty said...

I enjoyed your answers. One of the things I want to find out from asking about your grad classes was whether you consider them academic or application. I think I got my answer! JB