Sunday, January 13, 2008

Notes on A Sunday

Thoughts from my day:

We watched the Colts/Chargers game. I was impressed by the way that Billy Volek came in after the Chargers starting quarterback, Philip Rivers, went down with an injury late in the game. Volek even ran in a touchdown.

Nelson and I were talking about how Volek’s entire professional career he has been a back up quarterback. He’s played professionally in the NFL for 8 years. He was undrafted. His role has been to come on and take over a game when the starting quarterback goes down. Not a bad gig, and I’m sure the pay is pretty good, too.

Most people aren’t interested in signing on to be the back-up anything. But what if that’s your gift? What if you’re able to keep tabs on the game to such an acute degree that you could take over so smoothly that nothing was lost or wasted? Why not be the back up?

I’m thinking that I need to go dig out my Virginia Satir material. I was thinking in ABF during our discussion about optimism and negativity. I drew two pots on my paper and began to plan how to teach to thinking more about what we have instead of what we don’t have.

I’m going to either ask the group to draw two pots or give them a handout with two on it and ask them to fill the first pot with what they’re missing. Then I’m going to ask them to fill the second pot with what they have. I’m going to ask them to come up with a number (per centage) that represents how much time they spend focusing on each.

It’s just the beginning of the lesson, but I’m thinking I’ll move on to teach to restoring hope, what is enough, and the things we can and can’t change. I’m probably going to try and pull up the whole Serenity Prayer…I really like the part we don’t pay attention to:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

And with that I think I’ll toddle off to bed. Oh and Beth checked out the boots. She didn’t like either pair. She did however see the pair that was just plain black leather (just like the black suede ones) and thought they were cute. Now, I have to decide: to spend or spend on something else.

Also, tomorrow, Nelson and I are going to give up coffee and start down the green tea road. Anybody else doing this? TTFN.

1 comment:

The Momma said...

Thanks for posting the 2nd half of the prayer. I needed to read those words today.