Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Desires

Today was rough. My hands hurt and I was really fighting a heavy heart. It's sort of hard to describe. I don't feel sad personally. I'm just sensing a lot of sadness around me. It's sort of like how the scriptures describe how Jesus looked at the crowds and felt compassion for them. He looked around at the crowd and reached out to them because they were weary and weak. Now, I know I'm no Jesus, but sometimes I feel just a piece of his heart...and it's a heavy thing!
I just felt on the edge of tears all day.

I've still been thinking about the whole concept of accepting the good and not the bad. So often we don't get what we want. I've had numerous conversations with people who are confused and on the verge of walking away from following God because they feel that the promises aren't being kept.

One of the biggies for many people is the promise of Psalms that God will give us our heart's desire. There are many disappointed people because they wish for something, sometimes for a very long time and they never see it come to pass. Is God a liar?

I don't think so and here's why. I think we misinterpret the verse. I think my "take" on this verse came out of many disappointments and much confusion. Like a child I would run to tell my heavenly Father my latest heart's desire and then I would wait--expecting and hoping. And nothing. For a long time, I quit hoping.

Then something happened. When I experienced my great breaking, I began to consider a different meaning to this verse. It was as if it was whispered into my aching heart. What if we chose to read the verse that instead of us telling God what we want, what if God told us what our heart's desire is? He will give us our heart's desire.

The most satisfying times in my life I believe have been the result of God forming that desire in me and my falling in love with what God really wants for me. There's no wrestling here, no disappointment, only life, and life more abundant.

That sounds good to me. He knows the plans He has for me...I need to let him dream them in me.

Wait till you hear my take on Peter getting out of the boat...I'm just a little hairy tick.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Someone gave me this same view on that verse a couple of years ago, and I believe it is so true. Thanks for the reminder.

Forgiven said...

it is so true when He puts that desire in our hearts to live for Him and then He helps us to do that. He is my heart's desire and living to please Him. daily i ask Him to help me to do that. since realizing that He is my heart's desire i have found that He is very faithful and He does keep His promises.

if i think of wanting things that are not in accordance with His will i would not be surprised that i didn't get them. but when i ask Him to help me to live for Him He blesses me beyond my wildest dreams.