Saturday, March 26, 2005

Easter Week

FRIDAY NIGHT:Well, I did it. I completed my first week at work. I worked overtime every day except today. I was told that they NEVER work overtime on Fridays. They may call for workers on Saturday and Sunday, but not extra on Friday. It was okay by me today. When 3:30 came around, I was ready to head for the door! And not just because I was tired….Ann, Travis, and Penelope were at our house for a visit!!!

It has been such a delightful evening. I found energy that I didn’t know I’d have. I’m sure I’m a typical grammy: everything she does is just adorable. I’ve been taking picture after picture. She figured out how to ride the little rocking horse. She was able to make the sit and spin spin!!!! My living room looks like a cyclone hit it and I don’t even care!!!

We’re going to an Easter egg hunt and an auction at the fairgrounds tomorrow. Hopefully, I’ll find some more of the energy reserves. Another highlight for the weekend is that Beth doesn’t work on Sunday, so she and Nelson are going to attend the contemporary worship service at a nearby church on Easter. I can’t remember the last time she was willing to go to church.

Work was a little stressful. The last two days I’ve been giving regulators a bath test, looking for leaks: that can be repaired before we send them out, or that indicate they need to be junked. My team had worked a lot on these, but not everyone was as careful as necessary and consequently there were way to many that needed to be repaired.

Yesterday morning I started the day working on the Stud Press again. (Like on Wednesday) As I stood there, eyes glued to the slowly dropping press, I realized the absolute imperativeness to being present in the moment. I’ve not always been very good at this.

SATURDAY MORNING:Well, we just got back from breakfast at Denny’s. It was fun. In a little while we’re going to an Easter Egg hunt. That should be a blast. Great opportunity for lots of pictures.

(Back from the egg hunt)Well…that was interesting. They had two age groups: 0-5 and 5-12. Needless to say Penelope only picked up 5 eggs before the much faster moving 5yr olds had snatched everything away. Many of the parents were nabbing eggs for the little ones too. Oh well…it will be better next year.

After the hunt we went to Friendly’s for ice cream. Penelope mastered the art of drinking through a straw. Thanks to Grammy’s coaching! It was fun. I should have just ordered her a dish of whipped cream. She just loves the stuff. At breakfast she ate all the whipped cream off Annie’s hot chocolate and then had me spoon fed her the hot chocolate. At one point Annie tried to take it back and Penelope smacked her hand! Annie ordered herself another hot chocolate.

They’ve packed up and left for home. It’s quiet in the house now and all the toys are tucked away. I took lots of pics. I got a couple of her outside by my Pooh Easter yard signs. Her hair is so blonde and curly…she’s just adorable!

ABOUT THURSDAY NIGHT: I wanted to report about the Maundy Thursday service. It was a little awkward. The pastor recognized my face, but didn’t remember who I was. Transformation Network had been asked to read the scripture for the service because the offering that was being taken was being given to T-Net. The pastor asked why I was there and I said I was with T-Net. He assumed I was “working” with the ministry and while I am, it’s not the way he thought. Before I could straighten him out on that someone needed him somewhere else.

It was a nice service. During the service we sang the hymn “I Will Praise Him.” One phrase hit me hard and moved me to silence and tears: “My ambitions, plans, and wishes at my feet in ashes lay.” Words I could really relate to.

The pastor’s style really hindered my ability to hear what he was saying. He was so intense he was yelling. I wasn’t alone in my discomfort. One of the others from T-Net, a 50ish woman with considerable mental health issues, had to leave until he was done. She was able to return for communion, but was visibly shaken.

His loud delivery reminded me of a time when I took Annie to a revival service when she was about 4. The evangelist was very loud. She looked very puzzled and then asked me: Mommy, why is the preacher so angry? I clearly don’t miss being yelled at.

So, it was a mixed bag of things. But I definitely decided that being in a church building with many people truly didn’t make the experience feel more “spiritual” than my time with the small group at T-Net.

Well, I have some laundry to finish and beds to make. So I should probably pry my fingers from this keyboard for a bit.

Have a blessed Easter. Know hope, peace, and restoration. Alleluia!

1 comment:

Erin said...

What a blessing to know that God is meeting you in your worship times. It's easy to rely on the environment... what a great thing to appreciate your little group in a fresh way!