Friday, February 18, 2005

Twenty six years!

There's so much celebrating going on in blogdom. Birthdays are abounding everywhere. I love the festiveness!

I got home about 8pm last night. I was exhausted after being up all night with Penelope. I hated to leave but I wanted to be home. What a delight to walk in the front door and be met with the olfactory blessing of fresh salmon and fried potatoes. In case I haven't mentioned it, Nelson was a chef/cook for many years and absolutely knows his way around the kitchen.

It was our 26th anniversary. We've been together for more than a quarter of a century. We have lived in Ohio, Wisconsin, Missouri, Kansas, and back to Ohio. We have raised two fine daughters. We cared for about 25 foster children, one who still claims us. We have lived in parsonages, rented houses and apartments, and tried to own a home. We survived the failure of a business (a sports card shop in Kansas) and the closing of two restaurants, and the subsequent bankruptcy. We made it through my legal problems, jail time, and the hassels of probation. I can't imagine my life with anyone else. God blessed me with the most amazing of men. He has taught me more about love--real unconditional, lasting, dogged love.

Annie, realizing what an amazing man her father is, named her daughter Penelope. She will not be called Penny....Penelope will only be shortened to Nel. She was named for her grandpa, her pepa.

Well, the amazing man just got home from work. He's going to fix the kitchen sink drain pipe that rusted through and he found this morning while he was doing the dinner dishes from that wonderful supper he made last night. Then he's going to take me out to dinner at Applebees (we got gift cards at Christmas from his mom).

Last night I was so happy to be home. We sat down to watch CSI and I promptly fell asleep. He woke me up as the credits at the end were rolling. We toddled off to bed. I was asleep as my head hit the pillow...but I remember his strong arm laying across my waiste. I felt warm and loved.

And after 26 years...that's a really, really good feeling!

5 comments:

Theresa Coleman said...

Happy Anniversary!
Blessings today on you and yours.

Saija said...

Happy Anniversary!!! hope you guys had a good day (on my birthday no less ... :o) ... ) ... Leo and i are heading for 31 years of marriage this summer ... we've been together for so long, that we are family .... i mean FAMILY ... it's sad that some marriages break up before they can experience that type of bond ... ENJOY!!

Hope said...

God bless you on your 26 years together.....there is something about going to hell and back together that can bring such abiding love for one another. Sometimes I wonder if going through really tough times together is a prerequisite for having that abiding love.

Chris said...

Happy Anniversary, a couple of days late!!! :)

Peg said...

Happy Anniversary! 26 years - you are definitely blessed beyond belief!!!!!!!