Saturday, February 19, 2005

$3 Happiness

There isn't much spiritual here...procede at your own laughter.

I just colored my hair. I finally found the "right" color. I had been going too blonde and I didn't like it. The last two times I settled on a golden blonde. It's very natural looking and it covers the stray grays so nicely.

I didn't start coloring my hair until last year. I was always afraid that the chemicals would damage it. My hair is extremely fine and thin. I used to wear it short and then then for years I permed it. Somehow I hoped that frying my hair would make it look thicker.

When I turned 40 (nearly a decade ago...sheesh), I decided ENOUGH! No more perms! I was amazed at how happy my hair seemed to be with the decision. It was thinner and finer, or so it seemed, but it seemed softer and healthier than I remembered or could have imagined.
So to return to chemicals was a fearful decision for me. What was going to happen? What happened has made me happy. I love the golden color and it seems fuller. Oh, I know it's still my baby fine hair--but we both seem happy.

It used to be that I was jealous of my sister's THICK hair with it's natural wave. Not these days. She can't keep color in hers. And she keeps perming it. I ask why? She can't seem to come up with a sensible answer. Sadly, her hair seems brittle and dead. She's never happy with it. I think I'll keep mine!

Oh, and I haven't had it cut since before Annie's wedding in September. It grows very VERY slowly. Right now it's just brushing my shoulders.

I walked into the computer room after blowing it dry the other day and mentioned to Nelson that I thought my hair was really getting long. He just looked at me with a stupid grin. He remembers the days when it was way down past my shoulders. He liked and likes it long. So for him this is so not long. We both busted into laughter. So I rephrased my revelation: My hair is getting longer (emphasis on the ER).

So, I'm sitting here feeling a little sassy this morning. Longer, fuller, happy hair...happy me. Isn't amazing how much happiness can come from a $3 box of hair coloring?

Forgive the vanity...I just feel sort of pretty.

(Side note: I was unsure about posting about my wonderful sweetie yesterday, given that some of my absolute favs here are struggling with difficult or ending relationships. Please know that I wasn't trying to rub salt...my pain is in other areas of my life and sometimes I go on about what I feel blessed about...it helps me balance things out to count and recount those blessings. And just as a funny about it: when Nelson was laying on his back replacing the drain in the kitchen sink, I told him how I had written about how amazing he was. He sort of shook his said and told me that I need to stop that otherwise people aren't going to believe he really exists. Funny man!)

6 comments:

Paula said...

I totally enjoyed this lighthearted post. Thank you!!! My hair's getting longer, too. Maybe I'm celebrating being almost forty by growing it out, I don't know, but I do know that my husband, like yours, likes it long!

He's not too thrilled with the blonde highlights I put in to lessen the grey, however. Oh well, can't win 'em all! BTW, happy anniversary. What a delightful post about your special day.

Amber Lynn said...

Funny stuff. Thank you for your encouraging comment on my blog. It really did help. In fact, today, my main work problem blew over. I still have to change brokers but that was very stressful.

Hope said...

I read this just the day after I made an appointment to get my hair dyed at my hair dressers. I have a month to change my mind but I haven't ever coloured my hair. My husband works with all women(he's a nurse)and he is consistently mistaken as a much younger man. The other day we stopped in at his workplace after a night out. I never get mistaken for being younger than I am....partly due to the amount of grey in my hair. I whispered to him on the way out of the hospital - "they are all saying you are married to an older woman!" We chuckled as he is two years my senior. Oh well, vanity is a good thing I think! Oh and my hair dresser told me that I would find my fine/limp hair more manageable after I had it dyed. She said healthy hair was overrated!

Peg said...

You know, there is just something about women and hair. It seems like my day and mood is determined by whether I am having a "good hair day" or a "bad hair day".
I am having hair coloring issues of my own lately! The gray is winning and the harder I fight the more dry and brittle mine has become! I haven't turned 40 yet - I think my battle has just begun! Yikes! Thanks for your hair post, I totally relate to it!

Amber Lynn said...

P.S. I have my hair appointment on Thursday. I used to be a honey blonde. About a year ago I went borderline black. (My hairdresser calls it sable and mink!) The dark color brings out my green eyes really well buy I am going to go light again. Wish me luck!

Erin said...

You go, girl! :)

I went gray at 14, so i've been colouring my hair for 22 years (yikes...). So, I've been through the purple 80's punk phase, a long, long Lucille Ball Red phase, and most recently a dark brown phase.

I wasn't built a blonde. LOL!

Have fun with it...