Sunday, February 13, 2005

Apologies

It was an awkward apology. He called me. He was apologizing for offending me last Sunday. I accepted his apology. But I also clarified my feelings. I said I wasn’t offended (probably not true), but I was definitely confused by his behavior and response.
He went on to say that his problem was with the worship study leader, that he had thought that we were going to function as a team, not go off doing our things. “I see. Well, thank you for your apology.”

But there really felt to be a ton of things unsaid. Now normally, I would have rushed into an immediate response of reciprocal apologizing. I didn’t do that and it somewhat surprised me. I sensed in the pregnant pauses the expectation by this man that I should be apologizing, too. I stood my ground. It felt weird to me.

I did a quick inventory. We had read earlier in the week from Psalm 139 and the ending verses’ invitation to inner search for any offensive way. Had I been offensive? No. I did what I had been asked to do. I was confused as to the response.

“Well, I just wanted to apologize.” (Again I felt the invitation to dance the dance of insincerity…and I didn’t go there.) “Well, thank you. Will you and Janet be with us this morning?” I sensed that I had been willing to “make nice” they would come back. “No.” “Well, blessings on you both then.”

In so many respects I feel like I did the right thing. Responded appropriately. I have always (ALWAYS) been quick to apologize in an effort to make peace. A great majority of the time I didn’t feel that I was in the wrong, but someone needed to take that step toward mending things. Apologize and put it behind us.

God, I’m really torn on this one. Should I call him back? Should I accept the responsibility? Should I let this man bully his way back into fellowship? What’s more important: me being humble or me being true? Humility is about waiving my rights. Is this more about surrender or holding someone accountable?

Wait….we taught our kids (and foster kids) that an apology is way more than “Sorry.” (Make sure you get the half sarcastic, flippant tone and attitude.) A real apology involves three things: sincere regret (I’m sorry for what I did.); seeking forgiveness; and commitment to changing behavior (I will try not to repeat the offensive behavior.).

If I believe what I taught, then I didn’t get a real apology. Sure, there was more than the quipped “sorry.” But there was a real lack of sincerity. He did add that he hoped that Nelson and I would be able to forgive him. It was the third part that was lacking. At one point he said that he was aware of his behavior, his tendency to respond in anger and shortness. But there was no expressed intent to change. I don’t know if he doesn’t think he can or if he doesn’t care to. I think he likes the excuse to behave badly.

This man is a recovering alcoholic. He has three years of “sobriety” but really hangs on to addictive behaviors. An apology (sincere in his own way of thinking) will always make things right, but there is never a real expectation of change…after all he is what he is.

Okay, enough of this. I’m going to go prepare for worship. Inside and out.

3 comments:

Erin said...

As I read your post, especially your last paragraph or so... I felt the word "wait".

Sometimes we are so quick to smooth things over, to avoid all awkward pauses, etc. that we allow someone to continue in destructive behaviour.

You did the right thing. You removed the opportunity to continue in the same bahaviour, same pattern.

Good on ya!

Peg said...

Hello Daisymarie,

Thanks for your comments on my blog! I do the same thing- "rushed into an immediate response of reciprocal apologizing" - but I think you did the right thing - you accepted the apology!

Happy Heart Day!

~pen~ said...

ahhhh, i don't know if i am the right one to post here my thoughts, but i thought i'd give it a shot since you were kind enough to say *hello* on my blog (for which i thank you :)

This man is a recovering alcoholic. He has three years of “sobriety” but really hangs on to addictive behaviors. An apology (sincere in his own way of thinking) will always make things right, but there is never a real expectation of change…after all he is what he is.hanging onto addictive behaviors is one thing and recognizing you are doing so is quite another. if you read further into my blog, one of my employees just surrendered to his addiction by taking his life by his hands one week ago (there is so much more to it than that - that's the short form). it's been a struggle to figure it all out, but i can speak from my heart and from experience: if the apology is sincere (as he sees it) and you have accepted it, then that's it. you are not to judge his sincerity in his apology any more than he should judge yours in reciprocating or acceptance of his (and from your post, and this is the first one i've really read, i am not so sure you would want him to read into it any further...)

are you in a leadership position over him? would *bullying his way back into fellowship* be a bad thing? sounds to me like he needs fellowship. he needs forgiveness. his needs for being in the body of Christ as a recovering alcoholic are probably enormous, and his strength in holding onto and maintaining his sobriety loom even larger i would wager.

further, i would further pray for wisdom and discernment when it came to your dealings with him; remember "...the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."we must first be sure our hearts are aligned with God's before we determine whether our brother's is.

*pax*