Sunday, February 06, 2005

Disappointment

Last Sunday I took my guitar to worship gathering. The "usual" song leading person wasn't there, so I pulled some choruses together in an instant and provided a music segment for our time together. When the gathering was over, the worship study leader asked me to come prepared with music next week. We spent a few moments talking about his topic and direction so I could pick out "appropriate" music. I was pretty excited about the assignment. I went home and quickly pulled together a music package that seemed to fit. I shared it with Nelson and he gave me some real encouragement.

Nelson and I walked into the building today and I instantly heard the "usual" persons guitar and his wife singing. I left my guitar in the hall when I entered the room.

I don't even know where to start to sort through these feelings. How about a couple Wednesday nights ago? This couple ("usual" song leader and his wife) were leading the Wednesday prayer time. He informed the group that we spent too much time talking and we were going to go directly to prayer. It didn't feel right to me. I look forward to the opportunity of sharing concerns and needs and catching up with people mid-week. But I wasn't in charge so I held my tongue. This "leader" proceded to use his prayer time to malign the T-Net director, the T-Net program, the "guys in the program (and technically, I'm one of the "guys"), anything spirit filled (aka charismatic) and a bunch of other stuff. I wanted to run out of the room, but I convinced myself to stick it out. I convinced myself I was over-reacting.

The following Sunday was when he didn't show up and I was asked to prepare for today. So I prepared. And did I mention that I was excited to have the opportunity?

The music the guy picked were three choruses I had never heard. I don't sing choruses I don't know. I listen to learn them. So while they sang I listened. I also wondered what was going on and I prayed that God would keep my spirit sweet. They took my not singing to be my taking an attitude. The music guy invited me to play my guitar, but I tried to back out. Everyone insisted. So went and got my guitar and music and shared the music package I had prepared. The theme was the holiness of God and how when Jesus taught the people were astonished and amazed. I picked choruses that focused our thoughts that way: Come into the Holy of Holies; Majesty; Heart of Worship; We are Standing On Holy Ground (both versions) and We Exalt Thee.

The couple refused to sing. The music guy didn't even open the book to the choruses. Music that was supposed to be uplifting and draw us to the throne fell flat and futile. Nelson was concerned. The worship study leader could barely look up.

Then, the leader presented his study. He's such a student of the Word. I respect him for his learning, but also for his spiritual maturity. At one point he shared that forty times in the scripture the response of the crowds to Jesus' teaching was astonishment and amazement. Nelson made a comment about how this impacted him. (We're a small group, so interaction is the norm.) The music guy made a comment that was judgmental about what Nelson said. It wasn't kind, but very dismissing. I tried to tie their two comments together and the music guy about exploded. He decided to "share his heart" and he was sorry if this was going to step on anyone's toes. And he let lose with a judgment laden pronouncement that was harsh and squelched the spirit totally.

We're not going back. The group wants to hand hold and coddle this couple because the give money. They've been fellowshipping with this group since it began. They've got history. They can have it. I don't want to be someplace where someone can poison prayer with personal opinion and get away with it because they're praying and who else can judge their prayers? I don't want to be a part of a fellowship that condones someone "sharing their heart" which is just a disguise for spewing a spirit-squelching stench.

Now, the really sad part is that this is my only "church" option at this time. Not going here means that until I'm off probation I won't be going anywhere (as long as I am in this county and the surrounding counties of this probational region). I, we, will miss the new friends we were starting to develop. I will miss leading music. I will miss gathering for fellowship.

I'm sad today.

7 comments:

Erin said...

I am so sorry. Truly.

How much longer until your probation is up? Is having a home fellowship an option for you?

Don't give up praying for this couple... whatever pain they carry that leads them to poison needs healing. I'm sorry that it's affecting you in process!

Hope said...

I am sorry that your joy got turned into mourning. I do applaud you for deciding to not subject yourself to this kind of stuff. No one needs to get crapped on like that.

Saija said...

awww ... how sad ...

my husband and i don't have a church home (distance and his disability) ... what we do is tape the early shows of Joyce Meyers and we watch those daily ... they have really blessed our hearts ...

but i DO miss singing with believers ... it is such a wonderful thing to raise your voices together in song to the Lord ...

hope you find peace in this situation ....

Theresa Coleman said...

Wow. This sounds so harsh. There's a part of me that is so sad you can't be in worship. But this does not seem to be a healthy place for *anybody* right now. To have that kind of judgement and conflict during worship! Wow.

My prayers to you today.

Michelle said...

This sounds like a very difficult one to deal with! I'm sorry you ended up sad and hurt. I've been there, I can very much relate. I don't have a "church home" other than the chair and table on my lawn at the moment - I'm taking a break from being involved, even attending, as I found myself getting into frustration and judging, and needed to step back for a while.

Blessings to you this week. Nestle into Father's arms for a while and be at peace.

Waterfall said...

Ugh, what an awful experience. Sorry you had to go through that. :-( Hoping your dinner/discussions with the worship leader will help to resolve things a bit.

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

It's no fun when people let Satan get in the way of true worship. I would caution you against leaving the group though: that's only going to contribute to division and disunity. The thing that people forget is that no matter where you are, people *will* let you down. God won't. If some people choose to let petty things get in the way, let them, but don't deprive yourself of spiritual nourishment (especially if you have no other option at the moment,) just because some people are choosing to act that way. You'll be in my prayers.
-Jen