Monday, September 26, 2005

Not Through

I heard a song a while back. It seemed nice. I didn’t pay really close attention. Heard it again last week. Liked it more. This morning it hit me like a brick between the eyes. It’s sung by Ginny Owens:

If You Want Me To lyrics
The pathway is broken
And The signs are unclear
And I don't know the reason why You brought me here
But just because You love me the way that You do
I'm gonna walk through the valley If You want me to
Chorus: Cause I'm not who I was When I took my first step
And I'm clinging to the promise You're not through with me yet
so if all of these trials bring me closer to you
Then I will go through the fire If You want me to
It may not be the way I would have chosen
When you lead me through a world that's not my home
But You never said it would be easy
You only said I'd never go alone
So When the whole world turns against me
And I'm all by myself And I can't hear You answer my cries for help I
'll remember the suffering
Your love put You through
And I will go through the valley If You want me to

Today after work Nelson and I had a meeting with the pastor from the nearby church where Nelson visited back last Fall. It’s also the one we watch on TV together. I called the pastor last week and told him of our situation. He wanted to meet with us. So today after work (what a day I had!) we got to talk with him. He was very open and positive and we will get to start attending services this weekend.

I thought I’d be whooping about this…don’t get me wrong, I’m happy down to my toes. I’m thankful, excited, scared, overwhelmed, and probably a few other things too. I will confess that I spent a couple nano seconds pondering what I would wear. My “church clothes” have hung so long in the closet.

But mostly, I’ve sat here and wept. I was remembering how devastating the blow felt when my PO told me that there was no way I could go to church. It all felt so unfair, so wrong. How could that be God’s plan? That was one valley I did not want to walk through. It made no sense, surely it could serve no purpose.

Left to our own plans we would have ended up miserable at the Nazarene church in nearby town with the pastor, who I believe, is on an ego trip that has potential to crush his congregation. It scares me now. Instead we went no where, then we went to T-Net, then we watched TV. The process or journey has been confusing at times, but it has provided opportunity for me to trust and to listen hard for God.

There will be those in attendance Sunday who will probably complain about sitting on old wooden benches. I welcome that hard feel on my seat. I don’t care what they sing, it will just be such a treat to raise my voice with other believers.

On a side note…there’s a phrase in the song “And I'm clinging to the promise You're not through with me yet.” So many times in the past four years precious brothers and sisters in the faith have encouraged me with this. When I have doubted that there could be any use for me, the reminder would come. The phrase caught my attention this morning.

Then tonight, before the pastor left, he asked to pray with us. We had spoken of our ministry journey. In his prayer he then asked God to reveal how he wasn’t through with me yet. He had no idea how precious those words were. Maybe someday I’ll find a way to let him know.

8 comments:

Erin said...

:) Praising with you!

Anonymous said...

Hi

A friend of mine - for a myriad of reasons- was unable to participate in any church life or fellowship for about 3 years.

It broke her heart, but she says when she looked back she learnt to rely on His Word and His presence where she was.

I think that's where you are. Praising God that you are now able to step into a church, and receive His abundant blessings - as you worship Him in a congregation.

"Sing out the Lord is near"

PS I've never heard the song you quoted but the words are wonderful indeed.

Constance said...

This takes such courage. Sing until you are hoarse. Bless you both.

Melissa said...

Praise God indeed and I love Ginny Owens and that song!

HeyJules said...

daisymarie, thank you for stopping by my blog the other day. I can't wait to read some of your posts here. I'm kind of out of the loop on why you haven't been to church but would love to hear your story. If you have a minute, drop me a line at faithorfiction@att.net. I'd love to learn more about you.

Also, that title block at the top...I played Cinderella in a grade school play and to this DAY that is my all time favorite song. I remember sitting in that corner chair myself.

jettybetty said...

I am just soooo excited for you--I can hardly wait to hear about it!!! And, I agree with the pastor--God is not nearly through with you yet--not even close!

JB

Saija said...

awww tina ... *smile* ... everything for a reason and only for a season ... praise God that one season has ended and another one is beginning ... (hugs)

Theresa Coleman said...

I haven't stopped by for such a long time, I feel I've missed so much. I'm so happy you have finally found a new church home maybe. You've had a really hard year. I hope you are blessed by the new church and that they greet you with open arms.