Friday, August 31, 2007

Review

Tuesday: my pain was at a 3 in the morning. It had been up to 8 on Monday. I had my ultrasound at 2:30. My paperwork had been faxed over and I forgot I was to drink a bazillion ounces prior to the test. Fortunately she was able to get a clear picture. The last time the girl was very calming and reassuring. This time the gal was a hoot. I laughed my way through the exam if you can imagine that. The funniest part was that my cell phone started ringing just she was about to insert the probe. We both just roared with laughter imagining the kinds of conversation that could take place if I had answered the phone.

(Just a note: It's Friday and I've been pain free for two days. I haven't heard from the doctor either so I'm going to work under the assumption that everything is progressing as it should.)

Wednesday: This morning I actually feel human again. Hopefully this is the beginning of better days to come! If not, a hysterechtomy is looking pretty good right now!

I missed teaching yesterday but I felt good taking care of myself. A good diary buddy suggested the very things I would have told someone else. She was spot on. I'm just not verry good at taking care of myself.

It appears that Ann and Travis are headed for divorce. My heart is aching for them. They just don't seem to be able to figure out how to be together. Ann called last night. They were having a terrible fight. She said that Travis had hit her. She went to Job and Family Services to begin the process of getting assistance and getting out on her own. She's going to stay over there where she has a job and so Travis will still be in the kids' lives. It's just so hard when they ask for advice and help but don't heed any of it. (insert huge helpless feeling sigh)

Beth and Ron, on the other hand, appear to have benefited greatly from their creating some space. It hasn't hurt either that they've discussed what they've seen Ann and Travis going through. So some good is coming out of that after all.

Thursday: I taught class. It felt so good. On the third day of this class I focus on self-defeating behavior, communication, and landing the job (resumes, applications, and interview techniques and skills for the ex-offender). When we were done one of the full time employees of the job store who teaches job readiness/prep skills came and told me that he had overheard the lecture and that I did a good job. That felt good. Sometimes I wonder if I’m on target and his encouragement helped me with that a lot!

Friday: It’s been a busy day. I started out at the factory/packaging program and did a bunch of paperwork. Then I came back to the office to prepare for a meeting our management team was going to have this afternoon to discuss how to rewrite our curriculum. I had some ideas I wanted to get down on paper. Before the meeting we had lunch at a restaurant in a nearby town where we have a jail ministry. I had a wonderful (!!!!) salad. After lunch we went to the town’s brand new library, secured a study room, started creating our curriculum. When we decided on the basic components and direction we agreed that we each need to come up with our design and then we’ll put it all together. I have two weeks to do that. Eek! Part of the urgency in this is that we’re presenting our program to a new county on September 26 in an all day seminar.

This Sunday starts a new quarter in our Sunday School. I was asked to be a part of a team of three to teach our class. I start this Sunday and we’ll rotate through the rest of the quarter. The teacher who just finished ended with a section on how faith isn’t safe. I’m picking up on that this week and using material from Mark Buchanan’s book, “Your God is Too Safe” and tying it in with my piece from a few weeks back, “Autopilot.”

I haven’t completely landed on all the rest of the lessons, but I think I’m doing at least one from Henry Blackaby’s book, “Experiencing God”, one on Life in the Body (drawing on a wonderful story by Bob Benson and Mr. Potato Head), and one on the real meaning of Advent. It should be a very interesting quarter.

Well, I’m done here and need to go work out. Have a great holiday weekend, if you’re in the States, or just a wonderful weekend celebrating the advent of Fall! TTFN “)

1 comment:

HeyJules said...

I am so happy to hear that you are finally feeling better! Whew!