Saturday, September 01, 2007

Lovely Morning

It has been a wonderful morning. Nelson got to go in early for overtime, so I was up at 4:10 braiding his hair. After that I fell right back into bed and slept soundly until 7:30 when I popped up and dressed to go work out. I had a good hard workout at Curves. On the way home I grabbed two coffees: one for me (hazelnut, of course) and one for Beth (she likes hers without girlie flavors). Then I came home, made a fried egg sandwich, and made my way to the wicker on the front porch. Ahhhhhhh.

I have decided a few things this morning.
1. I am ready for fall. I am not into the extreme seasons any longer. I love the warming up and cooling down of spring and fall. I value being able to sit on the porch or the yard swing and enjoy mellow moments that the cold snowy days of winter and hot humid days of summer just don’t offer. It makes me sad when I see the leaves on the ground, but I will focus more on their autumn glory of their final hurrah.

2. I love looking at houses. But not just the structures. I love to notice the ways in which people declare that they are living there. When I was coming home from Curves I noticed a couple houses that had cars in their drives, but that was about the only indication that anyone lived there. There were no flowers, or personal touches around the outside of the house. The windows were treated with mini-blinds so there weren’t even curtains to admire. I drove a couple blocks and noticed a couple more of the “naked” houses, but also the lived ones. And I started thinking about what it means to be “at home.” By that I mean, what does it mean to be comfortable, present, and living in your shell?

3. Working at Curves has caused me to do something more in 6 months than probably all the 6 previous years combined. Ok, that might be a wee bit of an exaggeration, but wearing shorts and capris to workout in and work in leaves one’s nubby little legs out—not a pretty sight! (giggles) It’s funny: I really like the smooth clean-shaven feel.

4. I love the farmer’s market. Our town has market gathering on both Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings. Today I went by myself. I perused the produce and ended up buying two pints of cherry tomatoes, two pints of the biggest sandwich tomatoes, and a flower arrangement of different colored zinnias. I didn’t think twice on the tomatoes, but actually struggled at the thought of spending three dollars on the flowers for myself. It seemed so odd to me that I wouldn’t think twice if I was spending the money on flowers for someone else, but really struggled to spend it on me. Silly. I drove home the three blocks, pleased with my purchased. Reveling in the beauty of the day. Our neighbors appear are a young couple with a mom living with them. Mom was out back sitting on their patio furniture, which is right next to the fence between our yards. She commented on how pretty the flowers were. I walked right over to the fence and gave her the flowers. She was so surprised, she was speechless. I love doing that. “)

Well, I don’t know what else the day will hold, but I intend to enjoy it! Hope you can, too!

2 comments:

jettybetty said...

It's so good to hear you feeling better!

Saija said...

i echo jb ... you sound like a much happier pilgrim! :o)

and i've noticed that as i age, i appreciate the seasons more too ... maybe it's cause i am IN TOWN and the grocery stores, etc., are more accessible - and there is no longer this large driveway and huge deck to worry about! yay!

blessings on ya!