Thursday, October 20, 2005

Guess Who I Met?

What a day I had!

The morning was spent working on the problem from yesterday morning. Faxes, researches, counting, contacting, talking, walking. Nothing has been determined, but at least I know where the MSDS sheets are stored.

Then right before lunch and for a while after lunch I had to do an extremely detailed inventory to accommodate a change in procedure. It never seems to fail, just when I think I have it all and put it down nice and neat, I remember something else and have to start over. I restarted 4 times, but it finally got done. Part of what took a chuck of time was that I created a new form to use for the process. It’s needed to be redone since I started, today I just bit the bullet and cranked one out.

In between all of that I generated all the labels and work orders for the current day’s packaging and tomorrow’s as well. I just love changing ribbons and rolls of labels. Have I ever mentioned how non-technological or mechanical I am? Machines have always intimidated me, but I am getting better. It’s funny because I’ve sort of convinced folks that I know what I’m doing. In the past this was a problem for me and resulted in my taking on too much. Now, I’m just learning how and getting better. And I am getting better–but I already said that.

Finally, at about 2:30pm I made it out to the floor to actually do some hands on work on the line. About the time that I had closed a couple dozen boxes Mr. R walked up to the line. He asked how long we’d be working. I told him until 3:30 and he smiled. Then he told me that Betty Montgomery was going to be coming by to check out our work program. We worked right up to 3:20. We no sooner started to close down and clean up when around the corner came our state’s Auditor. I spent about 15 minutes talking about the strengths and accomplishments of our program. Ms. Montgomery seemed very interested and was very easy to talk to. I think I did ok–sure helps that speaking and "selling" are strengths of mine.

At one point at the conversation Ms. Montgomery asked what I did three years ago. The question stunned me for a moment. Quick scan. What was she really asking? I stated that 4yrs ago I turned myself in for a crime, but that prior to that I had been a counselor and a pastor. I decided she wasn’t asking so much what had gotten me there, but what equipped me for the current position. By the way that the conversation went, I think I answered appropriately.

At this point, Mr. R told her that I was a “graduate” of the program. He went on to repeat his promise of getting me back to teaching. I was humbled again by his support. That wasn’t the first time this week he did that, though.

Last week when I saw my PO I asked again about the early release. She owned that due to busyness she hadn’t been able to work on it—I wasn’t surprised. She suggested that I get a couple letters of recommendation: someone from R Co. and Dan from T-Net. Mr. R had me read his prior to signing it. I nearly cried. I got Dan’s yesterday and was humbled all over again. I take the PO the letters today. Hopefully they’ll help.

So, as I sit at my computer this morning, I’m aware it’s going to be much colder and probably rainy, but I know nothing else much about the day. Surprisingly, I have a sense of peace. I’m learning the art of rolling with it—whatever “it” might be. Relinquishing control is hard…but I’m starting to enjoy the benefits.

May you know greater peace in your today.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

It sounds like you are making great strides! Congrats! Seems as though others in your life are wanting sucess for you, just as much as you may want for yourself!

jettybetty said...

I believe God has big plans to use your life!

How fun to talk to the Lt Gov--and what a fine name she has!!

I am a recovering control friek--I am trying to learn to roll with God's plan--whatever it is!!

Erin said...

:)

HeyJules said...

Can't you just feel your momentum growing???

What a great day you had!

Saija said...

you could really have a novel/movie done about your live ... i see it as part drama, part humour and lots of Spirit!

big (hugs)

Constance said...

Dear Daisymarie,
I was going to respond with something flip in response to your struggle with technology (which I share) and then you suddenly got seriously into redemption. God redeeming forms and parcels and ribbons and labels. God redeeming time. God's grace measured out in your joyful willingness to share your vulnerability all the way to the top. God's love expressed in the appreciation and affection people have for you. God's peace fulfilled in your beautiful waiting heart.
Love,
Connie