Sunday, May 29, 2005

Next Chapter

I’m sad. But it’s not a “crying” kind of sad. It’s a grieving sort of sad. I went to “worship” alone today. Nelson had fallen asleep on the couch (sitting up so as to avoid hurting either his back or his sunburn) and even though I made noise that could have woke him up, he stayed asleep. So I snuck out the back door and went alone.

When I arrived only the “leader” was present. We started out having a light conversation about our week—sort of an accountability check in. Then he began to describe the prayer time the extended group had on Monday evening last week. During the prayer time, Jim came to believe that it was time to end the Sunday morning gathering. The group had dwindled down to where it was basically Nelson and I and the leader couple, Jim and Cheryl. It hadn’t felt “worshipful” since before Easter. It just seemed “time” to let it go.

Jim and I went on to have a really interesting conversation, but it was all head stuff. I was afraid to get too close to heart stuff because I knew I was on the verge of tears and I just didn’t want to go there. I heard myself saying that I had been anticipating this event, and that given the way God had been so clearly leading in our lives over the past months, I was sort of excited about what direction we would be heading into now.

Sort of. What else could I say? Last year when my PO told me that I wouldn’t be allowed to attend church without a pastoral intervention and then having that pastor decide that he couldn’t “put his congregation at risk by allowing me to be present” left me feeling extremely discouraged and defeated. For all it wasn’t, the T-Net “worship group” at least filled the Sunday morning void. Now what?

When I got home, Nelson and I discussed the meeting. He wasn’t too surprised. His question too was “now what?” He listed out a few options, none of which was very appealing. The first was a nearby local congregation. We’ve watched the services on TV. But I was aware that the congregation wasn’t open to working with “my kind.” A second option was the Nazarene Church in a nearby town whose pastor we met with a couple months ago. The pastor and wife were college friends of ours and the way they described the ministry of the congregation was somewhat appealing, but neither Nelson nor I want to go back into the legalistic constraints of the Nazarene Church. A third option is the Wesleyan Church that our friend Steve (who is also working with Nelson on the house project). Steve knows the generalities of my situation. He’s never asked the particulars (details), it wasn’t an issue for him. We would be welcome there. Only problem is that it’s about forty miles away. With gas prices, it’s just not a financially feasible or appealing option.

Nelson just came to the bedroom to see what I was doing. Normally I would just sit in the living room and write, but I just needed to be alone to process through this. Here’s how the conversation went:
N: Why is God so mean to us?
T: God isn’t mean.
N: Then why is He putting us through this?
T: Maybe he wants us to trust Him to lead us and depend on Him.
N: Then He has 6 ½ days to tell us where to go to church next Sunday. And in all our lives God hasn’t worked that fast.
T: I don’t know why God is being so mean.
N: (as he walked away) Well, have fun processing that.

I don’t think God is being mean. I’m just confused. I ache to be in worship. And by that I mean a time with other believers where there is praise and preaching, that is powerful, encouraging, challenging, uplifting, and empowering. I am hungry for teaching, to sit and learn from another student of the word. I need more than the radio and the TV—but I am thankful for both of those.

I am sad, but I am hopeful—albeit a weak hopeful right now—it is still hope!

Well, I think I’m going to go hunt up some sustenance for my physical being so that I might continue to process in my spirit.

6 comments:

Erin said...

There are things I'd like to say, but I won't. I don't think you need words right now.

I am praying for you both. I am believing for you both. I love you both.

Saija said...

i know what you mean about missing church ... leo and i don't have a church to go too ... the physical difficulties of his situation, just make "church in a building", something that he can't do ... i have tried going to church alone, but i leave leo alone enough already - i want to worship with him ...

SO this is what we have been doing - it's just not only a sunday thing with us - it's an everyday thing ...

we read RBC devotionals (i read the bible, he reads the devotionals) ... we tape tv ministers that we can relate too (believe me, that was a tough one, Debra referred me to one that has blessed both our hearts big time) ... i find an interesting christian book (some study book on whatever particular subject interests us, i've blogged about the various books) that i read outloud to leo ...

our prayer time together still needs to be worked on ... we used to pray alot together, but now leo's concentration isn't the same ...

just thought i'd share what has helped me ... everyone is different, the Lord may be reaching out to you in another way ... i don't know ... but i felt a need to put down our simple little plans that have helped us to grow in our faith ...

big squishy ((hugs)) ...

Melissa said...

Tina...blessings upon both you and Nelson. What a difficult journey!!! I am saddened at the thought that our fellow brother and sisters in Christ are not more for the both of you. satan is the great and ultimate deceiver and sometimes he lies to those God loves through others that are followers of God...I can understand Nelson's frustration...satan likes to kick us when we are down, but destroy us when we are strong. Cleve to HIM...He is Love Perfected...I will be praying that God moves and that you and Nelson will have some valley time with other believers...I am also adding you to my favorites...thanks for stopping by my blog!

Debra said...

Hi Tina... Like Wilsonian, there are things I'd like to say, too, but won't here... Something similar happened to Tom and I (long, long story) and God brought something so amazing out of it--I feel more worshipful in my everyday life now than ever before. And well, after spending a few years waiting anxiously from Sunday to Sunday to experience this, I'd rather have what I have now every single day. (That might make some people freak-out, but I hope you will understand.) In other words, God sometimes has to shake our whole world in order for us to see things in a new and more amazing light. So, like, this could be a really good thing for you and Nelson! Maybe-kinda-sorta? :) God bless... Debra

C :) said...

i am learning that God supplies community in the oddest ways... he is faithful in uniquely meeting our individual needs...
but i think sometimes, we look toward that traditional form of worship and then at our circumstances and think we are missing something... i know i have.
keep looking up... he will provide a way where there is no way.
will keep you both in my prayers :):)
may our Sovereign Lord shower down his blessings on you tomorrow.

Theresa Coleman said...

shoot, wish you lived down the street and we'd do church. together. yeah.