Saturday, May 21, 2005

Sweet Saturday

I feel very blessed. Very loved. Thank you.

Thursday when Nelson came home from work he was as low as I had ever seen him. He was very edgy. Very negative. His mood immediately put me into “eggshell” mode. When he called me earlier to tell me he was on his way home, I asked what he wanted for dinner. His first response was Bourbon Chicken. I took that to mean dinner at Golden Corral—one of our favorite buffet restaurants where they serve a yummy Bourbon Chicken. When I checked that assumption out, his response was Bourbon Chicken, hold the chicken. My husband was quite wild man in his teens: lots of booze and lots of drugs to escape the inner turmoil and pain. He hasn’t done that in our 26+ years of marriage. I clearly heard him say he was on the bottom.

All evening I was guarded in my responses and interactions. Finally, Nelson asked me what was up and I told him that I could sense his anger was ready to erupt (depression, afterall is anger turned inward—one definition). He apologized and told me that he would do his best to pull out of the funk.

When he woke up Friday morning, he informed me that he was no longer depressed and as best he was able (as best a 350lb man can), he leapt out of bed. He was much more pleasant when he got home and today has been lots of fun. (I don’t know how long it will last, but I’m going to ride the wave while I’ve got it!)

I had the opportunity to work overtime today. We are just buried in parts to package and the operations manager offered half day for the team. They work about 35 hours during the week, so the can do 5 hours on Saturday without going into overtime. The plant just had to pay me overtime. We got a lot accomplished! It was neat that once again they allowed me to open and close the plant by myself. Last time we worked on a Saturday, both the operations manager and the company owner stopped in to check on us. Today no one checked on us. That felt good.

I got home about 12:30. And then Nelson and I hit a few garage sales. We ate lunch at the A&W here in town. While we were eating I was looking around at all the cars around us. The placed was packed and we were there about 2pm. Everyone there was much older than us. It was weird. We felt like kids. Good food. Good soda. And good feeling young!

We relaxed in the afternoon. Spent a little time with the younger daughter before she went to visit her boyfriend. Nelson decided he wanted Chinese buffet for dinner. I didn’t eat much. I mostly enjoyed my pot of tea. When we were done eating it was about 8pm and Nelson suggested that we just take a drive in the country. It was sooooooo nice! We meandered down country roads for about an hour.

It was just a really nice day together. We tried to get together with friends, even contacted my sister. Everyone had plans. So we were “forced” to be together. And it was truly fun!

And now I’m ready for bed.

1 comment:

Saija said...

well bless the Lord ... He heard your cry, knew just what you needed and gave you the company of your sweetie ... just like my nite of scrabble with Leo ... i mean, tonight he is quiet and dozing while NASCAR is on, but it's been quite damp, so his pain levels are up ... every day is different with chronic pain ... so as you said, you'll ride the wave of the good tidings as long as they last! ((hugs))