Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Friends Don't

I like cappuccino. I like it enough to stop and get the gas station knock off. We aren’t important enough to have Starbucks and the two coffee cafes in town are rich for my pocket.

Something happened yesterday that reminded me of a cappuccino moment from a few years ago. I had drunk a cappuccino from a gas station early in the morning. The cup had one of those tabs on the lid that you flip up and secure to the rest of the lid. There was foam on my tab and unbeknownst to me, I walked around all day with cappuccino foam on the end of my nose. I didn’t find it until it was almost time to go home when I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror. I couldn’t believe my “friends” let me go around that way all day. Fortunately, I didn’t have any important meetings that day. Just several clients and a couple groups.

I remembered that time yesterday when I bent down to pick up some boxes and realized that my zipper fly was totally gaping open. I had used the bathroom at lunch and didn’t find my gapingness until nearly 2:30 in the afternoon. I was embarrassed. And I was a little hurt.

Now, it’s a given that I’m a little weird, but if I notice that someone has cappuccino foam on their nose or their fly is open, I’m going to let them know. I don’t derive any twisted pleasure from someone else’s goof.

What would you do?

Okay, here’s another question. Someone actually asked me this question on Sunday. What authors of this current time/age will make enough of an impact that they will still be quoted and impacting people in 2500AD? I thought it was a good question. Who do you think?

Well, I’m going to do a little stuff around the house…I’ll be back to check out your answers.

5 comments:

Saija said...

awww, :o(
i would have told you ...

that is a good question re who will be around to quote in 2500 ... the list may longer than we think ...

i would have Billy Graham at the top ... Charles Swindoll ... and and and ... more i know, but those 2 came to mind right away, so i'll leave it at that!

Erin said...

Oh, I am so sorry, but I laughed through the whole first part of your post. LOL! Not at you... with you :) I just hope you weren't wearing "emergency underwear" or anything.

As for who we'll be quoting? I hope we're still quoting the writings and speeched of Martin Luthur King Jr. And I hope by then that we're quoting it so we never forget those lessons, and not because we're still trying to learn them!!!

Melissa said...

I hate when people don't tell you something like that, I mean do you really think I would be more embarrassed if you pointed out the issue so that I could fix it?

I agree with so many other comments on who should be quoted...however in my life those that will be quoted from my lips are John Eldridge and Francine Rivers.

jettybetty said...

I laughed out loud on this one! One of the reasons is that as I get older stuff like this happens to me more all the time--usually someone helps me out and I don't discover it on a trip to the ladies room or something. I have started checking things more--even looking in the mirror and not to primp--to make sure I don't have foam on my nose.
What a great question about who we will be quoting--I really can't think of anyone others than what has been suggested, but I will continue to think on that one!
JB

Erin said...

In the spirit of your story, I'll share one from my youth. I was 15 years old. Waitressing at a restaurant that did things up for Octoberfest. Owner's wife did tables from time to time. She came in wearing a rented costume and went on and on about how wonderful this all was. She wasn't liked much at the best of times, less so that day.

Some time mid-shift, she used the ladies room. Walked through the crowded restaurant, to the back of the room to the waitress station. Just before getting to her destination, an older man she'd passed flagged her down. She bent down to hear him. "Didn't know that dinner came with a show".

That's right. Her skirt was tucked into the back of her pantyhose.