Thursday, November 10, 2005

T time

What a week.

Sunday, Annie called. She thought maybe her water broke. I had to have my broken so I couldn’t really tell her what it was like—just what I had been told. I did tell her to call the hospital. The nurse she talked to talked her out of coming in. So I didn’t go racing over. I did go into work and get things ready IN CASE I did get to make a special trip.

Well, while I was on my way home, Annie called and said she wasn’t in labor. Two hours later she called again and she was having contractions that were about 5min apart. I started packing my bag. I left at 8pm. The contractions were at 3 min. I called from a half hour out and she was getting ready to head to the hospital.

I drove my typical 5mi over the speed limit. I made the trip in just 2 hours. As I walked off the elevator the OB nurse told me that Annie had just delivered. I just missed it. She had her father in law in with her and she had him cut the cord. He was so excited–it was his first grandchild.
Caden Andrew was born at 10:18 and weighed in at 7lb12oz. He was 20in long. He had lots of dark hair. He is absolutely beautiful!!!!!

I stayed with Annie at the hospital on Sunday and Monday night. When they were ready to go home on Tuesday I fought the urge to tag along and headed home instead. I felt they needed to go home and spend some time just as a family.

I drove home, but stopped at work first. I had taken Nelson’s cell phone with me on my trip and had been in contact with the work crew several times throughout Monday and Tuesday. I should have gone home. Problems out the whazoo. I was so frustrated. We ended up pulling 30 pallets off the truck because three workers chose to not do what they absolutely knew needed to be done. The standard phrase is "fill the void" with bubble wrap and these orders had big voids, requiring large amounts of bubble wrap. And they put none in–NONE! I was livid. The good news was that Dan fired two of the problem people and the third one quit. The work area was also a total shamble and no materials had been ordered. By the end of today things are under better control...translated: I have things back under control!

Yesterday after work Nelson and Beth drove over to Annie’s so that they could see the new baby and spend time with Penelope. I was excited about having a quiet evening. I got cozy in the chair, with my computer and promptly fell asleep before 8:30pm. I’ve enjoyed a little quiet since I got home from work tonight, but they’re on their way home as I type. The little bit I’ve had has reminded me that I need to figure out how to find some me/quiet time.

Well, I need to clear out the laundry room so that Beth can do some laundry when they get home. Then I’m going to just soak in the silence, breathe in the sweetness of my scented candle, and listen to some Kenny G. Ah, sweet tranquility.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Congratulations!!! Another sweet one to lavish with love.

Sorry about things at work. It does make it frustrating when the team isn't working like a team.

Enjoy you're solitude... and you're right- it's something we all need!!

(000)

Curious Servant said...

Congratulations!

HeyJules said...

What a blessing! And what a wonderful name. Enjoy him, DaisyMarie!

jettybetty said...

Congratulations--now a grandson and a granddaughter!!! ENJOY!!!

Saija said...

a baby for each arm! :o)

hope you got to soak some more over the weekend!

Peg said...

Congratulations - I love his name!!!

Constance said...

Congratulations. I think you did just what you needed to do. It's a fine thing every once in a while to let the folk you work with and for know just what all you do.
Many blessings on your family.

see-through faith said...

Double grandmother - double blessings :)