Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Resolutions or Resolve

This morning at devotions, the leader asked us to think about our resolutions, or goals for this year. I had given a little thought to this, but having to put pen to paper at the direction of someone else caused me to think a little more about what I wanted for this year.

As I got a little more quiet and focused I was reminded of a verse that we had been considering in devotions recently: you shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart soul, mind, and strength.

This verse has been a guiding principle in my life ever since I went to a seminar that used this verse to analyze the worship style of one’s congregation. The teacher helped us to see that every congregation works from one of four quadrants within a circle. The styles corresponded with heart (emotions), mind (intellect), spirit (spirituality), and strength (action).

I began to see how this principle of church styles applied to many other areas, like relationships. Sitting there considering goals, I was drawn to the circle once again.

It’s very easy, for me, to come up with goals for weight loss (action) or taking a class (mind). Thinking of the circle I began to sense a desire for balance within my goals. I wanted to consider goals that would affect my mind, heart, spirit, and strength. So here’s my first attack on this project:
Mind:
-Take a Family Living Class at T-Net.
-Read 5 books from 5 different genres (biography, history, culture, philosophy, and pschyology).
Heart:
-Reinvest in therapy.
-Read and do: Ending the Struggle Against Yourself
Spirit:
-Create a devotional space in my bedroom (a real corner space!)
-Read the Bible through (I bought a One Year Bible to assist in this goal)
-Really grow a prayer habit.
Action:
-Write…my book and some devotionals.
-Teach or lead group.
-Create the biblical resources materials for working with addictions and recovery.
-Work full-time again.
-Get healthy: lose weight and become active.

Essential in all this is balance and consistency.

Well, that’s a start. It’s not a checklist or a standard. It’s somewhere to go…a direction to head in. So, I’m off now to walk and live toward my goals.

1 comment:

Debra said...

Hi DaisyMarie... Just wanted to say thanks, again, for your comments at my blog lately. The last couple of days I have been reading through your blog and have been very blessed. Your post about giving up your rights is something I had planned to write about someday in my own blog because that was a *major* thing in my own life which helped me start growing. The whole dying to self thing, once I understood its importance, changed absolutely everything for me over the last ten years. So I am enjoying reading about your journey as it closely mirrors mine. I'm glad I've discovered your blog! God bless... Debra