Saturday, January 22, 2005

Notes from Blizardville

There’s just something wrong about leaving the70 degree weather of Arizona and landing in Ohio in the middle of a blizzard. But land we did. And home I am. Well sort of. I’m at my sister’s house. It was so bad up where we live that my hub had my sis pick me up at the airport. We’re going to try and get me home tomorrow…that may prove interesting given the way the snow was coming down and blowing a moment ago.

It’s weather like this that makes me want to run all the way back to Arizona.

I had a good week with my mom. We played over 60 games of Scrabble. I won the series by 5 games. I worked hard to win them all. My mom wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. She taught me how to play, taught me all the nuances of the game, and takes pride in my skill in the game. It was so incredibly fun to play for hours on end with her.

In addition to lots and lots of Scrabble, I read two novels this week. Me. Read fictional books. Two of them. Please be impressed. My goal for the whole year was to read one, and I read two. Since it was so glorious out there, I also did some walking each day and while I walked, I was actually thinking of characters to write about and stories that I could write. Me. Stories. Be afraid.

When I got to my sister’s house, one of the first things that I did was get online. A whole week without the internet was hard for me. I was surprised at how quickly the time went, and how much I didn’t really crave. I only had one weak moment. We had lunch with my aunt (Mom’s sis) and afterward went into her house for a visit. My uncle tinkers around online, so I knew it would be quite easy to persuade him to at least check my email. But I resisted. So I’ve been getting my fix here at my sis’s. She went to bed around 7:30pm, so I’m not even going to feel guilty taking my time to catch up on my favorite blogs and journals.

When I finished the novels I returned to reading Peterson’s book Leap Over A Wall (Selections on the life of David) Earthy Spirituality for Everyday Christians. I liked this thought (from page 62): “…in the company of David we find someone who does it as badly as, or worse than, we do, but who in the process doesn’t quit, doesn’t withdraw from God. David’s isn’t an ideal life but an actual life….Reentering through my believing imagination the world of David, I’m more myself—free to be myself and able to find God in the middle of what’s going on right now.”

There’s more to read and learn. But so far, I’m really encouraged. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I think this evening is starting to require some cocoa…with marshmallows.

3 comments:

Rita said...

Hi daisymarie, I'm a new visitor here. I started reading your blog just a few days ago. Glad you had a good visit with your Mom and congrats on the series win. ;) Welcome back to blog world and welcome home. Keep warm and safe on those roads.

Debra said...

Hi Daisymarie... Welcome back! I'm really glad you enjoyed your visit with your mother--sounds like a good time was had by all.... Hey, did you know you can play Scrabble with people online? Here is the address: http://www.e-scrabble.com/

Look for the challenge box if you'd like to play right away. Or you can send an email from the site to a friend if you'd like to start up a game with someone you know. You can stretch a game over a few days if both of you want to handle it that way. It wouldn't be the same as playing with your mom, but you might enjoy it. I'd be happy to play anytime--here's my email address: GladOne5@yahoo.com Just thought I'd let you know! :o) God bless... Debra

Anonymous said...

What novels did you read? Did you like them??

I loved the thoughts about David. They go really well with what God was probing in me today . . .