Saturday, September 08, 2007

Motivation

I just watched a special on Bravo. It was a reunion of the Biggest Losers. I like the show. As I sat there though, it really got me thinking. I've put on some of the weight I took off. I was motivated in a new way to get back to eating healthy. I'm thankful I never lost the motivation to exercise. If I had I know I'd be right back where I started.

In two and a half weeks I'll be starting a weight management class at Curves. I'm going to be doing the plan 100%! My goal is to lose at least 15 pounds during the 7 weeks of class.

I work with highly unmotivated people. Sometimes I feel like a cheerleader, cheering on a team that gave up trying long ago. They aren't inspired to change because their mantra is: why bother? Things aren't ever going to be better.

Oh, there are a few that have risen beyond that. They have chosen to move beyond their self-defeating behaviors. They are such a joy to work with and I give them my all.

But what about the rest? How do I reach them? It's just not in me to give up.

So, I have a question for you, my readers. What motivates you? What causes you to set goals and then reach for them? What keeps you going when you'd rather give up? When no one else is watching what is that thing, that thought, that kick in the butt to get you moving?

Thanks for the input! Y'all are just the best!

5 comments:

HeyJules said...

Two things motivate me initially: either I move to close to something painful (and must get away) or I see something that's possible that I want (and I go after it.)

But what keeps me going? Honestly, most of the time, it's my darn pride. I want to say I did what I set out to do and I want everyone to pat me on the back for doing it. Jeez, I'm such a child! But you asked, so there it is...

Trisha said...

What motivates me? Knowing that Jesus died on the cross for me and that if He didn't give up on me, I can't either.

Erin said...

I am primarily motivated by pleasure. Sad, but true. It means that my growth has been cut off in a lot of ways because I haven't faced the necessary pain.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more on this.

Debra said...

Good questions! I know I used to be motivated by trying to keep up with everyone in my life. It's amazing how much I *appeared* to accomplish! But now that I've let go of that, well, I try to let my motivation be simple obedience to what God is currently asking of me, what I'm feeling convicted to do. Key word:try. I've had to learn to think a whole new way--many days it seems I'm accomplishing so very little and yet I'll feel that I obeyed God...hence, the test-- Will I do more because I feel I should? Or will I just relax and be glad I obeyed God? Anyway, I'm still in the middle of relearning how to think and behave... I'll have to let you know the rest when I get there! :) Thanks so much for your encouraging comments at my blog lately... I really appreciate them! Blessings, Debra

Saija said...

one thing ... Jesus ...

that is the only thing that motivates me on the days when i don't want to be the caregiver ... or get out of bed ... or be "nice" ...

Jesus ...

my Redeemer and Lord ...

Jesus ...

and we are "kin" ... in Jesus!

blessings on you, dear one ...