Saturday, September 30, 2006

Kisses!

(This is the second day of our Sunday School bus trip. Nelson was able to go along and that's been such a blessing. The first day we drove to Gettysburg. It was rainy and gray all the way and when we arrived at the battlefield, the sun poked through. It was a very moving experience for me.)

Hershey Kisses, that is!

It’s the wee hours of Saturday morning. I woke up early to Mother Nature’s alarm clock: Get to the potty, NOW! Perhaps you’ve had those kinds of wake up calls.

Yesterday was such a beautiful day. We ate breakfast at the hotel. It was a relaxed time. The storms from the day before had moved on, leaving us with a crisp and clear fall morning. It was fun to drive through the Pennsylvanian hills to Lancaster.

We spent the morning in an area called the Kettle Kitchen village (http://www.kitchenkettle.com/home.html). Nelson was such a trouper! He followed me into all the shops and even acted interested as I oohed and ahhed all the sights and smells. While everyone else ate at the Amish cooking type restaurants, we snuck across the way to Subway and indulged in a yummy salad.

(Interjected side note: On Monday of this past week I started the weight management class at Curves and Nelson and I are following their plan for 6 weeks. It’s not a “diet” per say, but a method that really teaches you to read the labels and eat well according to the Glycemic Index. I’ve lost several pounds and feel really good. Reading the labels has been very enlightening. Our proportions were way out of control again. And I’ve been rudely awakened to the enormous quantity of carbs I’ve been packing away!! Not good at all! I’ll keep you posted on our progress. It’s not been easy on this trip, but we’re helping each other stick to it.)

Last evening we had a wonderful experience. We attended the production/presentation of “Ruth” at the Sight and Sound Millennium Theater (http://www.sight-sound.com/WebSiteSS/getlanguages.do). It was a wonderful play, magnificently prepared and presented. I just kept walking around saying, “Wow!” I would love to go back and see some of their other productions. Wow!

Today it’s on to Hershey. More time to visit little shops and take a tour. Then on our way back home we’ll stop at the Flight 93 Memorial. I’ll let you know how it all goes later. It probably won’t be tomorrow, because it will be a day spent on the road also. Nelson and I have to drive to Toledo, to his folks. That’s over a two hour trip. We’ll have Asher with us. I’m leaving him there and driving home after Asher gets to visit his great-grandparents. Then on Monday, Nelson and his dad are venturing up into Michigan to pick up my “new” car. He bought me a Mercury Mountaineer off Ebay. This is the 6th car he’s gotten for us that way. He wanted me to have something safe and road worthy driving in the snow belt this winter with my new job. I’m excited to get it. She’s not a new beast, a 1997 with a little rust, but she also has quite a few bells and whistles.

A final thought for today: As we drove through Gettysburg on our tour, we were directed to the Lutheran seminary and informed of its role during the battle. A seminary on a battlefield. It conjures up all kinds of images for me and raises several theological questions. I would love to sit in some of the classes and experience how the battle impacts their study and preparation. I would think it would have to…at least I would hope.

May there be lots of chocolate kisses in your day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Your trip sounds like a lot of fun!!

Judy - www.judyh58.blogspot.com

Saija said...

so glad you got to go on a field trip! sounds like FUN!

how is the job going?