Thursday, September 14, 2006

A Job

I met with the representatives of the T-Net board yesterday after work. The interview went well. It wasn’t your typical job interview. But then, this isn’t your typical job. It’s truly a ministry position. I mean, when was the last time someone asked what your spouse thought about the position? That is a standard question asked by church boards interviewing prospective pastors—at least it was in my experience.

The board decided instead of going with medical insurance to create a medical savings account and we would still have to secure our own medical coverage. Nelson has found some possibilities he’s going to check further into.

We talked about some interesting things. Here are some things that I shared:
-When asked what I brought to this position, I shared that I felt I brought a depth of empathy not often found by wounded people seeking help. I can really come alongside folk and understand the negativity, and neverending judgment. My experience also enables me to be better equipped to confront the game-playing and poor me attitude.
-When asked what I would change about what T-Net is doing, I said that I thought they needed to do more to help folks find housing and create more opportunities for work placement—so I really wouldn’t “change” anything, I would work to expand what they’re already doing. Something that I thought about but never articulated was that I think they need to do more to secure grant money for funding—an area that I’m excited about helping with.
-When asked when it was that I felt restored, I shared that I’m not sure I fully feel restored. I talked a bit about how I experienced substantial healing through the process I went through with the Mennonite church I had been pasturing. Release came again this spring when I was released from my ordination with the Church of the Nazarene, enabling me to become more fully involved in the Brethren Church we’re attending. But even with all that, I don’t want to loose touch with my brokenness.
-When asked what/who my ideal supervisor is/was, I explained that is one of the saddest things about considering this position for me. By far the best supervisor I have ever had is the one I have right now. Ed is genuine, supportive, encouraging, positive, and is all those things with everyone. I told the board about how when I fist was asked to consider this position I went to talk with Ed about it. He spent quite a bit of time helping me sort through things and then when we were done he prayed with and for me.

That’s enough of that.

Dan called me this afternoon and offered me the position. Nelson is still nervous, but supports me in this. When I’m done writing this I’m going to write my resignation letter.

Update on the blowup: Nelson has been very aware of his word choices. He has been opening up more and we have moved from silence, to conversation, to a more natural humor, to life without eggshells. It’s good.

Well, I better stop now and write that letter---I’m procrastinating and I’ll have to think about what that’s about.

3 comments:

Saija said...

i read your previous post with interest (i love my husband too, but he can be quite a negative soul!) ... heaven will be a wonderful place, since we will all (which includes: ME ME ME) lay down our sinful natures ...

as for today's post: i will come back and read with interest about this latest happening in your life ... wow - you have really had your share of growth experiences and they have all VARIED so much!!!

blessings to you as you soldier on ...

Hope said...

It sounded like a wonderful interview - asking the really tough and good questions instead of the mundane! I will look forward to reading all that your new experiences bring you and I will no doubt benefit from your growth as well. Blessings.

Constance said...

What a perfect time to reconnect, Daisymarie!!! Congratulations. Thank you for sharing your interview process. It sounds like this is right for you and that you have been taking giant leaps of faith since last we connected. Blessings,