Saturday, June 10, 2006

Stroke

My best friend had a stroke today. I’ve mentioned her, Rhonda. We’ve been friends since college. We roomed together there and together at Cedar Point. She was married to my brother and had my niece and nephew before they were divorced. I’ve been so thankful that in the last couple years we’ve really had the opportunity to reconnect and deepen our friendship.

I got the call this afternoon from one of her friends where she lives, about an hour from me. She had the stroke this morning around 8:30am and was aphasic until after 12:30. They gave her some medication that really helped. I drove to the hospital and spent from 5:45 until 8:15. I was surprised that the ICU nurses let me stay that long, but really quite happy about it, too.

When I walked into her room, we met eyes and both started to cry. She looked the nurse and told her that I was her very best friend in the world. Of course, needing to better that, told the nurse that Rhonda was/is my very best friend in the universe.

We talked about so many things, from college and Cedar Point and lots of things that made us laugh and cry. The thing that broke my heart was when she looked at me and told me that she wasn’t ready to die. We talked about how hard it was to pray right now.

I left when the friend who had called me came back to the hospital.

Then I drove home. I thought the drive to the hospital was tough, but it was nothing compared to driving home. An hour is a long time when there’s a ton of stuff racing through your mind. I kept thinking of people I wanted to contact and make sure that they knew that I loved them. Life is fragile. It is fleeting.

I remember hearing that John Wesley (the man attributed with the founding of the Methodist Church) was asked if he would live any differently if he knew that he only had 24 hours to live. He responded by telling the questioner he would change nothing. And I wondered about what I would change. Would I take the day off? Who would I call? Who would I spend those hours with? What would I be sure to eat? (You had to know there would be food involved!)

When I got home, Nelson was quick to ask me how I was doing. I told him better than Steve (Rhonda’s husband). His first wife died of a heart attack (from an undiagnosed heart condition). His present wife had a stroke. He was a basket case. I thought long about how I would if it had been Nelson.

I just have this urge to hug everyone I love. I thought of several people I’ve lost touch with and how I want to reconnect with them. Good thing I have free long distance minutes.

2 comments:

Saija said...

(hugging) you!

Pilot Mom said...

(((hugs))) I know what your friend is going through. I had 2 strokes, within a month of each other back in 2002. Hard work but worth every effort!

I'll be praying for her.