Monday, December 19, 2005

Twice Baked

Where to start…so many little things have been happening.
Saturday I baked. That in itself should draw a gasp from the crowd. The kitchen is not my environment. No one will mistake me for Betty Crocker. My cooking escapades are the fodder for many a joke with my family. So when I signed up to bring snack for Sunday School on the eighteenth, Nelson’s expression spoke volumes.

I decided that I wanted to make mini-muffins. How hard could that be? Or better, how hard could I make that, or them. I even found muffin mix that only required adding water. I was actually beginning to think that this could work. Along with the mixes I bought the cutest non-stick muffin pan (I had to go back to the store and buy the little papers).

I would like to report that the mini-muffins were a big hit. After Sunday School I was trying to pack up and I had to walk away from the table to let folks continue their talking and nibbling. I heard one person comment that they were one of the best snacks ever. Shoot, I was just hoping for edible!

Sunday night was the Christmas Musical Program at church. The plan was to have a dessert intermission. I signed up to bring something. Nelson put in a request this time for Tingalings. Another easy fix for me: melt the butterscotch chips (in a large pan) and stir in chow mein noodles, spoon on to a tray, and let sit (try not to eat them all before they sit). They were gobbled up!

The program was called Christmas Memories. Right in the middle the script called for a testimony of a Christmas that was difficult or sad, but in the reflection was good. The director had someone lined up and they cancelled out so I offered. I had several options of different Christmas memories, but really felt a thumb in my back to tell of my experience in 2001, the Christmas that followed my turning myself in and preceded my time in jail.

When I decided that this was the way to go, I spoke to the pastor to get his input and sort of to warn him. He was very supportive. Sunday morning I began to see why. His message had strong words about reconciliation and restoration. The way I planned to present my story followed well with what he preached.

I was nervous about sharing so I wrote out what I was going to say. I’m very glad that I did. Even with practicing on Nelson, I choked up as I read the words. But I made it through and moved quickly back to my seat in the choir.

There was one more song and then the break for desserts. I was quite surprised by the number of people that came up to me, before I could move from my chair, and gave me hugs while they told me how much they were moved by what I shared. The hugs were so genuine and life/love giving. My harshest critic (next to myself) even gave me words of praise. That would be Nelson…

At the close of the service Pastor G was wrapping things up and was able to tie his message and mine together and truly invite the people into receiving the gift of reconciliation and restoration that is being offered at Christmas…and always. In my heart, I knew the message was for someone…I just wondered who.

So all things considered it was a very blessed weekend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason this made me laugh with so much - like the joy of the Lord burst forth

be blessed

Gigi said...

HUGE.....really HUGE and His perspective just always is amazing...WHY does that surprise me!! Thanks

jettybetty said...

I would have loved to have heard you--I am thankful you got so much support!

And, you cook so much better than I do--I doubt there's any comparison!

HeyJules said...

Okay, that was beautiful. What a strong, wonderful thing you did by getting up and telling your story!

Now...on to the baking. Tingalings with butterscotch? Always made mine with chocolate chips. Gonna have to try the butterscotch!

Saija said...

i would have loved to have been there too ... cheering you on, listening to what God was saying through you! bless you sweet heart, tina!

(hugs)

Erin said...

:) What a wonderful thing it is to watch God weaving things together like that!