Wednesday, December 28, 2005

News from Our Corner

I got another present yesterday. It didn’t come from friends or family. It was a gift from work. Since I started working in the factory I have had to wear my vision correcting glasses and then put a pair of safety glasses over them. This was awkward at times and downright painful at others. Two sets of ear pieces digging into the sides of my head. Two pairs of glasses steaming up on hot sweaty summer days.

When I got my new prescription glasses I turned in the paperwork for a pair of prescription safety glasses. My employer provides these. All it cost me was the visit to the optometrist which I was doing anyway.

So yesterday, at the end of the work day, Joy from the front office paged me to let me know that they were in. I was—am so excited. Granted they’re not as attractive as my other glasses, or as lightweight. They have side shields on them and a lined bifocal instead of nifty progressives. But I so don’t care! I don’t have to wear TWO pairs of glasses. And I don’t have to wear my cool prescription glasses—so they won’t get any scratches or other damage as they sit protected in their little snap case during the work day.

It’s going to rain today. I didn’t wash my car to make it rain. I didn’t kill a spider (old wives tale/superstition of my mother) to make it rain. No, what I did was make plans with the daughter to go pick up her new bed and mattress set after work today. I knew it was going to rain because I am becoming a weather vane. My aching toe (from the injury this summer) and draining (more like a deluge) sinuses informed before I ever got out of bed this morning that a rainy day was in store. Lovely.

Getting this bed is important, but it also looks like we should be hurrying to get a crib. Poor Beth has been swelling something awful. At the end of a work day for her, her little toes look like little sausages they’re so swollen. Yesterday at her now weekly check ups the doctor did another ultrasound and has decided that the baby weighs about 6 and a ½ pounds. Things generally pointed to her being in her 35th week, until he measured her belly and it read out at 41 weeks. He also told her she is losing amniotic fluid. Beth has been saying for days that the little guy is wanting to sleep in a crib. We thought it might be wishful thinking, but it looks like he’ll be here much sooner than originally expected. And I for one will not be disappointed!

And one last thing…I thought I had a hot flash last night. Nope. Yesterday the guys the landlord hired to put in the new furnace worked their magic and we have heat. And let me tell you: it works well. I think we can safely turn it down a couple notches…at least at night!

Have a truly wonderful Wednesday!

3 comments:

jettybetty said...

YAY for the blessing of your new glasses!!!

Poor Beth--if she already measures 41 weeks--what will she be like in a couple more weeks?

Saija said...

*smiling* ...
life is never dull in your corner ... there are blessings to be found in everything, eh!
yay!

Anonymous said...

great writing :) I loved this