Friday, August 12, 2005

It's Official

I'm a klutz.

Tonight, around 7:30 I was taking the dog out to let him do his business. I got to the end of the ramp and slipped. My left leg went under me and I ripped my "great toe" nail almost completely off. Instant blood...tremendous pain.

Beth had just left to go to her boyfriend's for the evening. I had Nelson call her and tell her to come home to take me to the ER. Nelson was frantic for me...even offered to come with us to the ER...like that was going to happen!

I am not fond of ER's. You wait way too long. Staff is over worked and grumpy. It's never a good experience. I was pleasantly surprised tonight. The staff was a hoot and we laughed the entire time we were there.

Well, maybe not the entire time. I wasn't laughing when the nurse gave me the tetnus shot. I couldn't remember the last time I had one...always means you're going to get one. She was good and I barely felt the needle go in. I will tomorrow, I know. I wasn't laughing when the doc was shooting novacaine into my "great toe", either. That hurt a lot. Not the needle, the med. Oooooo. I closed my eyes when the doc pulled off the nail. It didn't hurt, but I didn't want to see it.

I had x-rays. Nothing is broken. I did sprain my arch. That hurts quite a bit. The whole foot is starting to throb since the novacaine is wearing off. I wonder how much Advil I'll need to take to knock that pain out? No script for pain meds. Yehaw.

I'm scheduled to work tomorrow. I'll just be sitting at my desk. I have to go in. If I don't we'll fall just that much farther behind and after the fiasco of a day we had today...let's just say it was really bad...I have to go in. Besides, I have no way to contact anyone on the team to cancel. Going to be a long day. Good thing I have lots of paperwork to keep busy with.

So that's just one more thing on my plate. But I am thankful. Nothing is broken. I have a job that has insurance. And in one fell swoop I probably knocked out all my deductable.

Hope you sleep well tonight...

6 comments:

Hope said...

Ouch, ouch , ouch! I don't know what it is about nails - but damage to any of them makes me just cringe. I am hoping you don't need too many painkillers to get through this. It just sounds so painfull.

Saija said...

after all these trials, the blessings to come, must be huge indeed!

jettybetty said...

Ouch!!!
Hope it's feeling better soon!

So thankful you continue to find blessings amidst your struggles!

JB

Melissa said...

Feel better soon, that's gotta hurt. I broke my big toe at the joints falling down a flight of stairs, worst pain I ever felt!

Gigi said...

this is one of those posts where it just hurts to read.....OUCH....hope it is healing quickly....

Anonymous said...

What it could be useful for?