Sunday, June 10, 2007

Deleting Negativity

I have written several pieces but deleted them. It wasn't because they were not written well--there's a switch for me. There's been something gnawing at me, an unpleasant situation that has been troubling to me all week. I found out that a person had done something that caused my shame meter to read through the roof. It was pure malicious character assassignation.

I wanted to blast this person. Shame them the way they shamed me. My heart ached for vengence. To make matters worse I found out what this person had done through a friend who was afraid her own character was about to be maliciously attacked. So I was not only angry, I felt rising righteous indignation.

Not knowing, an internet friend that I greatly respect and appreciate posted a piece about holding one's tongue when facing the possibility of spreading negativity. I guess that's part of what kept me hitting the delet button.

Then this morning as we went to prayer in Sunday School, my Bible fell open to a very precious passage to me. When I was in jail this promise was given to me as an encouragement. This morning it seemed to reinforce that encouragement and remind me that the whole matter was in God's hands and He would and could handle it much better than I ever could.

Here's the passage:
"7 As for me, I look to the Lord for help.I wait confidently for God to save me,and my God will certainly hear me.8 Do not gloat over me, my enemies!For though I fall, I will rise again.Though I sit in darkness,the Lord will be my light.9 I will be patient as the Lord punishes me,for I have sinned against him.But after that, he will take up my caseand give me justice for all I have suffered from my enemies.The Lord will bring me into the light,and I will see his righteousness.10 Then my enemies will see that the Lord is on my side.They will be ashamed that they taunted me." (Micah 7:7-10a, New Living Translation).

I knew I was being punished then because I knew I had done something wrong. I was willing to endure that punishment because I deserved it. The promise was that God would restore me. He still is doing that. Each day brings new experiences that reinforce that. Like this morning, as I was walking toward the sanctuary, the regular worship leader stopped me. She had her grandson on her hip and shared that she was having a really rough grandma morning. Would there be anyway I could just hop in and lead worship? Uh, sure. So I did. After service a man I highly respect came up to me and said, "You have a gift to lead worship. I don't know how we're going to use it, but we'll figure it out." Tears filled my eyes.

My nemisis will probably read this. She takes delight in reading my entries and then filling her day and the ears of my former co-workers with snide and nasty comments about me. Oh well. As far as I'm concerned she's in God's hands. He's promised to take up my case.

It's going to be much easier to hold my tongue when negative comments come a knocking!

4 comments:

HeyJules said...

This made me think of our weekly message in church a few weeks back where it talked about praying for our enemies. The piece of advice passed on to us was "the more you dislike this person or their actions the less need there are for words. Just hold them up mentally before God and say, "Here."

That way, you don't pray something your heart doesn't feel but you do still lift that person up before God.

Smeagle said...

Thank you for the compliment on my blog. I will pray for you concerning the situation that you find yourself in. I appreciate your wisdom and I like Jules' advice too.

Anonymous said...

As for me, I look to the Lord for help.I wait confidently for God to save me,and my God will certainly hear me. Do not gloat over me, my enemies!For though I fall, I will rise again.Though I sit in darkness,the Lord will be my light.I will be patient as the Lord punishes me,for I have sinned against him. But after that, he will take up my case and give me justice for all I have suffered from my enemies.The Lord will bring me into the light,and I will see his righteousness.Then my enemies will see that the Lord is on my side.They will be ashamed that they taunted me." (Micah 7:7-10a, New Living Translation).

oh yes! thank you for this reminder

Judy said...

Wow. What a lot to deal with.

I'm sorry that this is happening to you. I love to hold the picture in my mind that when someone is bringing up or making up 'faults', God looks at you and only sees the blood of His Son.