Monday, May 28, 2007

Lunch in the Park

I'm just having the absolute best lunch I could imagine. I'm sitting at a picnic table, under a grove of pine trees, beside a lake, with birds singing all around me. Nelson grilled salmon last night and packed some for me for lunch along with a yunmmy salad and white chocolate raspberry flavored light and fit yogurt.

As if the food and surroundings weren't glorious enough to my soul, then I'm able to pull out this handheld and portable keyboard and write down the experience to share. Right now: life is very sweet and good.

Drat...reality just burst in. I had to take my car to get new brakes. Of course it wasn't going to be an inexpensive brake job. No, not for me. I needed new pads and rotors on all four wheels--to the tune of $542. But even that had some goodness.. I called last night and they were able to get me right in this morning and furnished me with a loner car (which I left in Atown with Nelson since today is my out of county travel day). And the car is ready to be picked up.

Meanwhile back to serenity. This park where I'm resting is one I went to often in my youth and then again the first few years of married life.

Reflecting on the fun times spent here, I was reminded of some thoughts I had this morning while driving. I was captured for a moment thinking about age and the passing of time. I"m fifty. I say that often. I wonder if I say it too much? My dad died when he was only 53. I have a whole lot of things I want to do before die. I think it's definitely going to take more than 3 years.

Tonight I'm going to do something responsible, grown up like, if you will. I want to take better care of this body I have. I'm eating better and exercising regularly. I take a good multiple vitamin and extra calcium/vitamin D. I have scheduled an appointment with a OB/GYN for my PAP (which I haven't had since 03). I was going to talk to her about a baseline bone density exam--since my mom has so much trouble and it appears to be something that has touched several women in my family. So what am I doing? I read in the paper that there was a free bone density exam happening at one of the nursing home/retirment communities here in town tonight--so I'm going.

It was terribly hard to leave the tranquility of the park for the sterile, chopped-up confines of cubicle world. But I did it.

(Just a follow up note: My bone density was a -0.02, which is very much in the good range. I'm still going to ask the doc if I need more.)

No comments: