Friday, April 27, 2007

Heaven Too

The seminar went well. Seven counties were represented in the audience. We used power point. It was the first time I ever did that. I wish we had some sort of traveling clicker so that we didn't have to stand at the podium with the computer and use the mouse. I'll get better. I told Dan that I need to take like a three day retreat to just go and play...I mean learn how to create my own power point.

I was really drained when the seminar was over. I spent the first half presenting with my coworkers. In the second half, I was part of the panel that was comprised of "graduates" of the program. We presented our perspective alongside Mr. R who spoke from the perspective of a business owner who had been willing to work with felons. The second part was more difficult: owning my own ex-offender status. It went well. We received many positive comments on our evaluation forms. One of the counties represented asked us to come and make the same presentation to their Job and Family Service people.

Today I wrote the following devotional for our church's web devotional journal:
Transformational Journal Devotions: 1 Peter 1:3-9
Monday: vs. 3-4
In one of the churches where I served as an associate, the pastor’s wife often used a phrase that reminds me of this passage. When life got sticky or icky she could be heard reminding herself: "all this and heaven, too!" Occasionally there was a note of sarcasm in her voice, but we all knew that she said it to remind herself that whatever she was facing was not the end, as a believer, she had her heart set on heaven. It makes me sad that there seems to a languishing hunger for heaven. We live in such an instant age. People don’t save like they used to. It’s all about living in the now. It’s pretty well summed up in a bumper sticker I saw not long ago: I’m spending my children’s inheritance. As Christ followers, our priceless inheritance is kept for us in heaven "beyond the reach of change or decay." And like my pastor’s wife, I’m looking forward to the day when I receive that treasure. It’s so much more than this world around us—there really is heaven, too!
Prompts:
-Have you been living for an earthly or heavenly inheritance?
-Write about your understanding or feelings toward heaven.
-Write a prayer asking God to give you His understanding of heaven

Tonight I got a phone call from a family friend. The pastor's wife I mentioned in the devotional died Wednesday morning. She now has her "heaven, too!"

Then just a few minutes ago I got a call on my cell. Odd for this time on a Friday. I knew that one of the guys in our Ntown work program didn't work today, but I didn't know why until I got the call. It was from his sister. She had taken him to the ER last night. He has pnuemonia and they found a mass in his lung. They also think that his leukemia has returned.

I'm feeling somewhere between sad and numb. I've just been on the edge of tears since I got done with the seminar. Perhaps a good cup of tea is in order.

6 comments:

Erin said...

It's difficult to walk with/bear with each other sometimes. No, it's not exactly like having a congregation, but there are many similarities.

Praying peace over you as you continue to find your way with such grace.

Trisha said...

It's amazing, isn't it, how we have adapted to technology? I remember when an electric typewriter was all the rage...now look at the stuff we have access to!

Judy said...

and heaven too...

Thanks for that reminder.

Saija said...

i hope the weekend gave you a chance to catch your breath ... and to rest ...

i liked your devotional very much ...

and if you want to see a good movie (chick flick) about patience - watch "the lake house" with sandra bullock and keannu reeves ... i thought it quite endearing and brought to mind that some things are worth WAITING for, even though they seem easier to just grab ... patience is in order ...

blessings on you Tina!!!

Hope said...

Wish we could visit over a cup of tea together. Hugs to you today.

Trisha said...

See, at our walmart the anti-glare comes with the lenses. I just didn't have the extra $70 for the no-lines. That was food for a week.