Thursday, July 06, 2006

Reflections and Rejoicing

So, I’ve been trying to listen more. Here’s some of what I’ve thought and some of what I’ve heard.

I started working on a new machine…new to me that is. It’s a Telesis pinstamp which I use to put a date stamp on some relatively heavy parts and then I load them on the line. Anyway, I noticed that the rhythm felt familiar. Then I found myself trying to put words to it. The words that came to mind were from the old hymn: It Is Well With My Soul. The phrase was: sorrows like sea billows roll. The next phrase in the song is: whatever my lot Thou hast taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul. I kept singing it over and over and over…and I felt much calmer this week.

Sometimes I get the funniest thoughts while I’m working and thinking. It occurred to me there in my moments of solitude that I was a little like Superman. You know, he was Clark Kent until he was “needed.” Remember Clark, the mild mannered reporter by day, and superhero when “needed.” I’m a mild mannered materials handler by day and spot on Bible teacher when “needed.” I just wish I was needed more.

One of the descriptions in the Nurturing Silence book for a “noisy heart” is a heart that is struggling with relationship issues. The between people problems that we face can raise the noise levels in our heart. Oates quotes one guy who said he cared too much for his blood to stay in a working relationship that left him with growing anger and discomfort. It reminded me a lot of how I was feeling when I was working in that other area for that guy who had no people skills and even less ability to manage and organize the department. As I read the description I just felt so much better and healthier for having gotten myself out of that situation.

I also noticed something the other day when I was working with the packaging group. They were listening to a really hard rock radio station. I was thankful that I was far enough away that I really didn’t have to be saturated with the noise and negativity. After a bit, I noticed that the station had faded out and all that they were listening to was static. It was like ten minutes before anyone moved to tune the station back in. It seemed like any noise was better than quiet. That so is not the case for me!

On the home front: Something really neat came out of Nelson’s first therapy session on Wednesday. In April at Nelson’s last appointment he got on the scales to check his weight. He weighed so much that it wouldn’t even register. The therapist guestimated that his weight was probably around 375-380 lbs. When he got on the scales on Wednesday, he weighed 339!!! It did so much for his spirit to realize that his hard work has been paying off. And it’s going to just keep coming off. His therapy is at 30min a session this week, next week he’s off, and then he jumps to 45 min 3x a week, and then 60 min! I better get on the stick or he’s going to just outdo me to pieces!!

I had jotted down some other thoughts, but left the paper on my desk at work…fodder for another entry!

4 comments:

Saija said...

WOW!! congrats to Nelson! that is SUPER!!!!!

Pilot Mom said...

Ditto! WOW!!! Double WOW! Tell Nelson congrats on his superb loss!! Way to go!

jettybetty said...

You are such an encouragment--I need the work on the quiet heart, too.

YAY for Nelson--that is sooo wonderful!

Anonymous said...

we sang it is well with my soul on the alpha course. I loved it!